DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N1

" Reload the film. If you shot up to frame 10, then with the lens cap on, the eyepice cover closed and in a dark room, fire off 12 frames. This will get you past the 10 you have already shot and allow two frames in case the alignment of the first frame was in a different place the second time around."

I did that to load the film to frame 'x'. But I wonder, if a lot cheaper camera (the Pentax) can do that, why can't do that the NX?! Because it have the function to leave the film trip outside! I don't see why to use this function, if the film can't be advanced to frame 'x'.

You can't do it with a Nikon F5, Leica R9, Canon EOS1, Contax N1. So, you can't do it with any high end camera. Must admit I have never needed it but I can see where it may be useful. I always do it the way I suggested if I need to change mid-roll.

Simon

"You can't do it with a Nikon F5, Leica R9, Canon EOS1, Contax N1. So, you can't do it with any high end camera. Must admit I have never needed it but I can see where it may be useful. I always do it the way I suggested if I need to change mid-roll."

All right! It is not the topmost function a camera can have. I just wondered, that the NX can't do that. It is important to me to rewind a film, before totally exposed, because I want to use some film parallel (e.g. ISO 50, 100, and 400), and I do not shoot enough at one place to expose a film totally.

I'm not sure why anyone would want that feature. Suppose you had mid-roll-rewound more than one canister of film? How would the body know which canister should be advanced to which frame?

What i always do is this: Rewind leaving the tail out. With a Sharpie, write how many exposures had been made ON THE FILM LEADER. When you put the roll back in, set the camera to manual. Set the shutter speed to the fastest speed, and the aperture to the smallest aperture (f22) and put the lens cap on. Fire off as many shots +1 as you need. I'm sure all those exposure settings may be overkill, but why not be absolutely sure?

>[..I have found that the N1 rewinds incredibly accurately.There is no need to waste a single frame and you will not see "the join". I now always rewind to exactly the same frame number.

Alan]

hi guys. great thread. i just bought an N1 with a 24-85mm. i used, well i still have an old canon AE-1. so im making a big jump from the 1970's manual camera to a fully automatic top notch contax. i was wondering if u had any advice on how to test drive the camara. im sure there must be a guideline to test at least the basic features (auto focus, exposure systems, bracketing, etc). can any one lead the way? thnks.

> It realy is advisable to test the N1! I did not and my first films > were out of focus. The lens had to be adjusted. I suggest to mount the > N1 on a tripod. Use AV as method of automatic exposure en use max > aperture (wide open). Select aan object near by, an object in between > and an object at infinity. Do so at e.g. 85, 50, 35 and 24mm. So that > makes 12 or more shots. Also an option: after shooting the first range > with autofocus, take another with MF. My N1 since then works fine. > Success!

thnks ed. ill try it right away.
happy.gif

Hi, everyone,

I'm interested in learning what N1 users think of the N1 as a travel camera. Currently, I have a G2 system with most of the lenses. I am more than satisfied with image quality, but I find that I am tiring of changing lenses all the time. Unfortunately, the 35-70G zoom is just not the right focal length range for me. Therefore, I am considering getting an N1 with 24-85 lens.

My major concerns have to do with the weight of this camera/lens combination, lens speed (or lack thereof), and image quality. I have been spoiled by the G2's light weight, small size and superb fast lenses. Do most N1 users find the camera to be a burden to carry all day long? How do you cope with low light situations? Am I likely to be disatisfied with image quality?

I realize that the NX is considerably lighter, but I think that the N1 will actually balance the lens better. Besides, it is a more solid, robust body. I suppose that one might carry a 50/1.4N for dim lighting, but how large and heavy is that lens?

Unfortunately, there is no dealer where I live that has an N1 camera for me to handle. Any advice from experienced users will be most appreciated.

Rob

Back