DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

Dana,

I have a JOBO ATL-3 processor with print & film drums you can have just for picking it up (well, you have to help disconnecting it and get it down from the attic). Photoshop is my new darkroom - God bless Photoshop.

In case you need more prodding into digital (aren't we evil?) I also have over 200 ND shots in my web site:

http://improbablystructuredlayers.net/

Click on the Beauty link on the left. The sections for Jamaica NY, Mill Neck Preserve and New Zealand are all ND shots. Notice that New Zealand has several sub-sections. These are fairly hefty JPEGs (1024 pixels in width or height, some of them up to 700KB) with good sized thumbnails. These are mostly your basic travel landscape / people shots.

DJ

I wish you lived around here or else I'd take you up on the Jobo offer <font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• is still something to be said about processing your own film if not prints.

Almon, I feel your pain especially considering ATL-3 price tag
happy.gif

For many years I did the whole enchilada, shoot, develop the film then develop the prints. And even film-wise things are much easier today. With reasonanble care you get fairly consistent color balance from batch to batch in both film and paper.

In days of yore (as the audience's eyebrows go up in dismay) you could almost see the filter pack changing value during the exposure! OK, wild exageration, but color balancing the filter pack to a film or paper every new batch, sometimes the same batch after a bit of an unrefrigerated interval, was the norm.

I guess it's that thing called Getting Old - I'd rather not be a darkroom slave anymore. Plus being a computer geek by nature and profession, digital is heaven-sent.

So, the ATL-3 offer stands ... service manual and all. I think it still works
happy.gif

I'm a ways of a drive, Irakly - Queens, New York. On the other hand, maybe you need a few days off and need a relaxing drive
happy.gif

You better have a van or station wagon! Although not the model with the full stand (in which case forget the station wagon!) it ain't petite.

Irakly, where pray tell would you put such a monster?

Dana, do it! You'll never look back. And there is no need to give up film to go digital. With a good scanner, you are in business. Digital and film reside side by side quite well. I just started to reprint all my scanned B&W negs on an Epson 2200 using the Matte Black ink in place of Photo Black and they are quite rich in tonality and deep blacks. I can just imagine what the Quad Tone B&W prints look like.

Irakly, I am seriously considering the Epson 7600. Then we could do some really big prints. Both of us have stuff that should be printed that large. I especially would like to make some from the Contax 645 and Kodak
ProBack DCS capture. Whatdayathink?

Back