DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax RX

Rico,
I doubt the image would be better than the Aria. The viewfinder of the RX seems darker than the 167MT and the original RTS (I just wasted the last 10 minutes checking...). Of those 3, the image on the 167MT seems the brightest. The magnification may be higher on the RTS, and the RX is the worst: smaller magnification (or maybe it is the high eyepoint, but the image does look smaller) and darker. (There must be official data on this. I am reporting my perception).

BUT the RX has DOF and focus indicator and the green leds are MUCH more visible than the LCD on the 167MT or the "classic" scales on the RTS. So, overall, the viewfinder is much better. But it makes sense that the Kyocera PR made a point of the increased brightness of the RXII (BTW, whatever happenned to that camera?)

Regarding the on/off, It just feels like the switch "gives" a little, instead of staying perfectly locked. It does click-stop. It is just that the "stop" has a little bit of leeway. Someone pickier would send it in for adjustment, it looks like it should be tightened a little bit.

[The screen on the RX appears less bright because the mirror only reflects about 80% of the light onto the focusing screen, the remainer goes through the mirror onto the DFI, to allow it to work. This is the same for the AX. Compared to the Aria and 159mm, the difference is significant.

On a seperate note, the RXII has a brighter screen because the mirror has been changed to a 'normal' one. I have been trying to ask my repair shop to change my RX mirror (possibly using one from an ST, which uses the same fosusing screens and presumably the same mirror size). Does anyone know if this is possible? Or should I wait for RX II parts...]

Back