DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

D7D do you love it

rincewind

Hi All

Well, I got my D7D late November and I'm loving it
happy.gif

As roughly predicted I paid £949 for it here in the UK.

So far all my old lenses work without any problems and the build quality of the camera is far better than I had expected, really high end.

The colour output of the 7D is something to get excited about too
happy.gif

AS is very impressive and I am using it much more often than I had expected to. In fact now that I have it, I don't think I'd want to be without on any future purchase!

The worst thing about owning one of these, is that some lenses you thought where reasonably good quality, turn out to be average at best!

This machine really shows up poor glass, my 50mm F1.7 is tack sharp, but my Sigma 70-300mm Apo is really soft.
I'm now looking for a nice 80-200mm F2.8

Now is everyone else finding their 7D?

Regards.

Den.

> Well I'm enjoying mine. People have a point in that I don't think the

> 7D is going to win converts to KM. But for those of us who were > already bought in to KM lenses it is fantastic beast. I'm glad I > waited and didn't take the plunge to change systems to Canon. That > said, i have found a bug. Several times the camera has started in a

> false mode when using the Vertical Control Grip. I've posted a bug > report, so here's hoping for new firmware.

I too love my new 7D. As a novice, I am not sure which lenses to purchase. I like to photo grandkids at play. Any suggestions?

Thanks in avance,

Peg

I have an AF 70-210 and an AF 35-80 which I purchased when I bought my MAXXUM QTsi several years ago.

Thanks for your reply-Peg

Hi Peg

Since the 7D has a 1.5x factor on any 35mm lens used with it, your 35-80 becomes a 50-120.
The 70-210 becomes a 105-315.

It seems to me your light at the wideangle end with the 7D.

I would suggest you try the KM 17-35 (27-50 in 35mm angle of view) or if that lens is outside your budget, Sigma do an 18-50 (28-75) for around £99

Either should give you the range to be able to zoom out, when your grand kids take a run in close to you.

If your old 70-210 is the Minolta F4 version, I hear it does really well with the 7D
happy.gif

Hope that helps.
Den.

Your welcome Peg
happy.gif

Here's a bit of info for everyone:

I hear that KM have released new firmware for the 7D, version 1.10.

The firmware (available from KM websites worldwide) adds a few new options to the playback menu.

Increases card write speed to around 3x faster than present.(one of the things complained about in reviews was the slow write speeds compared to the Canon 20D etc)

Version 1.10 also allows the camera to be connected directly to a PC or laptop (with Dimage Transfer software) and images downloaded to the computer as you take them. No need for a cf card, load the images direct to the PC hardrive and take as many as you wish
happy.gif

This is useful for many professional purposes, but I can see a use for it in serious portaiture.
take your pictures and see them instantly on a 14" or 15" laptop screen, is an appealing thought!

The Dimage Transfer program, is available for FREE download from KM websites........excellent!

Really love my 7D though a lot of things make me hate it as well.
Focus is a BIG problem that before the upgrade, I could hardly focus esp with fast lenses (in contrary to recent Japanese CAPA analysis where the research said both 20D and 7D needed lenses faster than 2.8f to open the cetral faocus centre).

Hi Mark_k

Sorry to hear that, I can't say the same exactly, I did have some focus issues at first, but it was a learning experience for me. (I'm not suggesting that's the same for you)

Focus is now very accurate even with long lenses.

What focus options are you using and what type of subject.

I use to have some trouble with fast moving bird photography, but that was down to me not keeping the bird on a sensor and getting the background sky focused instead.
As I got better so did the focusing
happy.gif

Regards.
Den.

Back