DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

D7D do you love it

Hey guys,

I've been looking at purchasing the 7D as a new-to-DSLR user. I'm impressed by it's features and it's design.

I'm less enamoured with Minolta's zoom lens selection. Their overall lens selection for zooms is pretty low, and I don't have the financial outlay to purchase the G versions. One lens I have been looking at is their 70-210 f/4. Can someone who has used this lens on a 7D comment on the following areas for me?

1) Sharpness and contrast
2) AF speed and accuracy in all light conditions(my biggest concern)
3) Interaction with AS

Thanks,

David

Hi David

Welcome to the Forum.

I can't pass direct comment on the Minolta zoom as I use a Sigma in that zoom range. I would advise you not to be put off by Minolta's range. They don't have the scattergun selection of a Canon, but what they have covers the needs of most and are universally good. Anything you don't find you can usually find in Sigma, including D type lenses.

So, 1) - I cannot directly comment on the lens. It will not be let down by the camera, though. (Be aware that the D7 does not use much in camera sharpening, this is a Good Thing, but may make you question the performance in a superficial head to head with a canon. 2) AF speed and accuracy on all the lenses I have is excellent in terms of accuracy, if you can see it in the viewfinder, the camera seems to be able to grab it. It did OK with an IR illuminator as well, which is surprising since the camera is c##p at IR! I have to say the speed is a little slow, but that is the camera, not the lens. 3) With AS every lens I have from Minolta and Sigma work stunningly well. In fact this was the selling point for me.

HTH

Dave

Hi everyone,
I was thinking of getting the D7D but the slow 1/4000 shutter is a turn off. How do you compensate for this in bright areas and you want to isolate the subject.

Slow? I guess it's all relative. I shoot with all-mechanical SRTs, and the fastest shutter I've ever used is 1/1000. (I seldom use film faster than ISO 100) If the scene is too bright, I'll either stop down, use a slower film, or slap a ND filter on the lens. These should apply to DSLRs also.

I agree with Bob. If you need a higher shutter speed, set the effective ISO to a lower value. One of the most versatile things about DSLR in my view is the capability to have every shot at a different ISO. No more swearing on outdoor shoots when the light changes
happy.gif
Also, for contrasty subjects, don't forget Zone mode on the ISO. That seems to do something like setting different ISO values across the sensor based on the relative brightnesses of the zones. Coupled with RAW import into Photoshop, that is a very very nice toy. Sorry. Tool.

Dave

I am over the moon with mine so far, (two weeks old, I got £100.00 off and a free vertical control grip from the "Focus on Imaging" show in Birmingham U.K.).
I already had the Dynax7 film camera with 24-105, 75-300, 50-1.7 and 85-1.4 lenses. The 85mm is totaly amazing on the D7D!! The 24-105 is nice as well, but I have not had a chance to really try out the other two lenses as yet....

Cheers,
Pete.

I have had my 7D for a month now, and loving it. It's my first DSLR. Will likely last me for a lllooonnnngggggg time.

Having used a Maxxum 7000 for many years, I have been awaiting the day where I could use my AF lenses with a digital camera body and the 7D fits the bill. I've had it only a month, but have been impressed with its physical construction.

There is one thing that I think I'm missing. The continuous bracketing works just as I would expect, 3 or 5 sequential shots with the shutter depressed. Everything I've read in the manual indicates this should work the same way with the flash turned on. While the bracketing works, I have to press and release the shutter for each image. The software version installed is 1.10u.

Any thoughts?

John Zinn...

The reason that the flash will not "auto" bracket is because the flash must RECHARGE each time. This is the same as the Maxxum 7 35MM and the same as how the Flash Bracket Card worked on the "i" series Maxxums.

Back