DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Dash Falls, Cumbria

Gloomy1

I have a moving water fixation, especially waterfalls. I am often to be found standing around or in rivers. I live in the wettest region of England so have plenty of opportunities to photograph water. I will try and re-visit this location in Autumn when the foliage looks better, the difficulty is predicting the waterflow, too little and the image has no drama, too much and, in this case, it is impossible to get into position without getting very wet. Ken
_DSC7029 7026-1 merge v2 from laptop copy.jpg
  • SONY - ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 12-24mm F4 G
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/6 sec
  • Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

Holy smokes, that's really cool. There's "something" about it that I cannot put my finger on. Very deep. Especially the upper & middle part of the falls which then knocks you over at the bottom. Kind of like one of those surreal Dutch Golden Age paintings. I like the foliage.

I would also like to add (per Gloomy1's opening sentence)... that many of us are sometimes concerned about our "fixations" and that maybe we need to branch-out and pursue other subject matter. Nonsense! If there is an attraction to a specific environment -- a place where we like to "be" as part of the photo experience -- that's a good thing. Fire away! I like the smell of creosote (railroad ties) and the associated sights/sounds. LOL. It's nice when you see a forum post and you "kinda have an idea" of what might be presented... based on "who" is behind it. That's fun. And yes, variety is also the spice of life.

I have a moving water fixation, especially waterfalls. I am often to be found standing around or in rivers. I live in the wettest region of England so have plenty of opportunities to photograph water. I will try and re-visit this location in Autumn when the foliage looks better, the difficulty is predicting the waterflow, too little and the image has no drama, too much and, in this case, it is impossible to get into position without getting very wet. Ken
View attachment 14504

Many years ago , waterfalls were my beloved topic . At that time , I shot 4x5 inch LF only and B/W . Still love waterfalls .
The light into this waterfall is great .

Back