DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Experience with the MP

Of course J:

The original MP is incredibly rare. Should I even be able to find one and have teh ability to pay $10k + for one, it would entirely defeat what I have said above about USER CAMERAS and COLLECTOR CAMERAS....

Teh fear factor falling in love with your equipment became , for me, an INCREDIBLE hinderance...and was truly holding me back..annoying and irritating it slowly changed to hatred...

loved the titanium M6, we have had many memories, but I am tired of being afraid of scratches or bright marks...

All of you guys above talking about colors and body coverings sound like old women discussing handbags ;-) no offense....

It is incredibly liberating to have the ultimate in refinement and craftsmanship and not worry about scratches...

it is a strange psychology I have with the black paint models...but it works, and i could not be happier

However, many feel this same way regardless who own the chrome models as well....

One final note, as said above, the lacquer is VERY well done...camera polishers beware!!

it will scratch, but wear off,, I cannot see it happening in this lifetime.....and I use the h@ll out of it..

best
u

> Thank you Ubermensch for this strong endorsement - now I am in trouble ( to sell some Ms ) and seriously consider your favourite

Brgds / Joseph Low / Singapore

I hope it was helpful.

Apologies for length. They are my unbiased, honest/genuine thoughts on it.

Many users do not see or quite realize the refinements (or appreciate them perhaps), but they are there. No they are not trying to reinvent the wheel, it is all there already, almost perfect from the beginning.

It is a camera of refinements and for those who truly take their photography (and the entire photography experience) seriously.

It is the Stradivarius of cameras. Leica has always been the best, but this is perfection, and I never say that about anything.

good luck

u

Hi all

I agree 100 % with you, Ubermensch. I own the Leica MP and a Summilux 50mm 1.4 since about one year. You need to have it in your hands, to feel the smotheness while advancing the film, to listen to the fine noise of the shutter and, last but not least feeling while rewinding the film.

So it is obsolete to say: I felt in love with this fine thing from Germany.

Hans Villars, Switzerland

I've had a MP for about a year and couldn't agree more.

It's a beauty!!!

But please don't talk about the fine noice. It's a fine SOUND!!!

I've got the 50 Years Anniversary Summicron 50. Perfect match to a chrome MP body. Unless You've tried it, You don't know what You're talking about!!!

As an M6 owner, I just spent an hour "playing" with an MP. It is very smooth and many of the plastic parts found in earlier M's have been replaced with brass or steel(as per M3 & M4) It is buttery smooth and I think I will have one built a la carte with the cantilevered rewind crank,black leather(real) in silver chrome of course. Might go for the earlier style of frame selector and rewind lever too.
If you want an MP or M7 with anything other than the .72 mag. viewfinder, you too will have to go a la carte (soon). As this is "custom" it will cost you more. So if that's the only feature you want...buy now!!!
Colin

the black paint on MP is beautiful, but the chrome can't match the chrome on those early M3, which is silky smooth and has a nice shine.

but in the final analysis, I still prefer my M3 DS over the new MP, but the MP Black Paint is worth buying, and I have done just that.

I am also an M6 owner, I believe mine is an early version with no TTL. I've got it bundled with a German made pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux from my uncle. I have no argument about the new MP could be a better camera, and *fortunately* I have never handled one so far. With my very intensive uses of the camera, I just cannot recall my memory and tell which part of it are made from plastic, except the lens' focus tab and the very annoying lens cap. Would you mind kindly let me know where are they in the body, so as to make me know her even better? Admit the finder flare is from time to time pretty annoying.

Sorry to be so "on" this thread. But to answer your question, one important= change that comes to mind is the very common (on both of my M6ti and ttl) = problem of the film counter.

The film counter on the Leica used to be the best. Then they decided to sav= e a buck and replaced a metal gear disk with a plastic one. As a result th= is casues the dreaded film counter failure where where it begins and ends f= ar off it's mark.

It has been replaced with metal as early years.

Inside the camera however has been truly improved as well. It wasnt just hy= pe, and jealous M6 owners seem to always say it is just a rebadged M6 which= is ignorance.

The shutter is d&ened better, and redesigned to prevent ANY light leaks a= s was previously an issue. Also investigation shows the film take up gears = on the right (black plastic) are shaped differently than on the M6 FWIW.=20

Of course the internal shutter and take up gearing have been redesigned and= finished creating the M3 like feel. But I do not believe they are brass li= ke the M3, they are steele.

The pressure plate is a different design as well. Making it even better for= those who play with infrared film and had occasional issues with the M6.

What is also very important again, is teh attention these models were given= during production. People ask, "wjhat is different, what did they do?" It = is attention.=20

Again, THE CLEARANCES, are far tighter than on M6's. In almost every areas.= It feels as if everything is tighter within and the camera overall was gi= ven great attention to detail while in production. Not having tried an MP = prior to my M6 I thought the M6 hung the moon.

Upon all of my leica studies, involvement, and extended use, I tried the MP.

All I said was, "wow....." upon winding on the film advance for the first t= ime.=20

Personally, I cannot return to the M6 anymore! It actually feels so sloppy = by comparison to the Mp that it annoys me! Seriously. Like a bag of marbles.

Apparently, a seasoned Leica repair person can make a M6 better than new an= d change the feel of the camera too FWIW. I havent any experience in this r= egard.

Otherwise, all of the other plastic bits on the m6 outside bug me now as we= ll. I really love the M3 advance lever too.

If you are experienced and do not want a meter, an M3 with film advance upg= rade (if you can find this package) would be a very economical substitute.

But, you will probably be talking CLA in the near future, and as it is an o= ld camera, many of the technical issues above may not be solved.

It is a worthy replacement to the M3 and final of the mechanical Leica (pro= duction) Ms IMHO.

best u

Back