DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First impressions

So the problem happened again today and I'm absolutely FUMING! This time I'm sure that "tweaking the slack" solves the problem but I can't make the problem happen. So now I guess I have to send this 2 week old body along with my 300mm afs and tc-14e to nikon so that they can man-handle it for 6 weeks.

The madness continues, but with a positive ending. As it happens I begged the store in Montreal (L.L. Lozeau) that sold me the f100 to give me an exchange. Nikon Canada in Montreal said that since the problem is not re-produceable, they'll pass my lens and camera combination around from tech to tech till the problem comes up! I told this story to the store and reminded them how much money I spend there and they finally gave in and gave me another f100 WHICH WAS ALSO DEFECTIVE!!!! This one was really messed up...it metered the same value into the sun as it would inside my apartment. Set at ISO 50 it would give back a shutter speed of 1/4500th (yes, 2 zeroes!) at f2.8. So, i brought that one back too, feeling like an idiot having put on a show for them earlier the same day. They gave gave me their last f100 which I tried in the store and it seemed O.K. L.L. Lozeau really backed me up, for that I am grateful. But I'm wondering a bit about those QA issues that we're hearing about at Nikon, I mean, waht are the odds!!!!!

What are the odds?.

Not in your favor, you seem to have had all of the F100 trouble I've read about.

Are you absolutely positive that the exposure wasn't locked?

I am sure you will enjoy your F100-soon anyway.
happy.gif

Regards:

Gilbert

Yeah, im sure. I checked every conceivable lock on the f100 in fear of looking like a fool back at the store. It was doing other, more clear cut screw ups, like displaying info on the LCD that should never be there at the same time i.e. iso and aperture. Furthermore, in aperture priority the meter gave back a single value for a given aperture that never changed regardlees of subject brightness. It was REALLY damaged goods.

Back