DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G lenses---where to apply in a digital body???

samuray

Hi all,
I gess is a recurrent question but I have a full range of G series lenses (from Hologon 17mm to Sonnar 90mm).

I love the body and how it works, but each day is more difficult to find good film and the cost of a good scan is getting more dificult to work as usual.

I would like apply all this excellent stuff on a digital camera, it was a important investment and the quility of them is outstanding.

I would appreciate if you can "light" & suggest the way to follow.
It's important for me make an investement that can use for a 3-4 years period...."at least" ...

Thanks for your advice...
R.

Sorry to inform you but your G glass will only work on G cameras.

No manual focus, electronically controlled by the camera all adds up to a dedicated system

You can have your lenses converted to Leica M mount but it's not inexpensive. I don't think that I'm allowed to post a direct link but go to: japanexposures dot com slash lens to get more information.

Later,
Johnny

I am expecting to get my Contax G adapter for my NEX5 next week. The samples I saw so far look pretty promising.
There are adapters available for the 4/3 systems. It looks like most people use KIPON adapters but they are quite pricey.
Cheers
Volker

Hi all,
I gess is a recurrent question but I have a full range of G series lenses (from Hologon 17mm to Sonnar 90mm).

I love the body and how it works, but each day is more difficult to find good film and the cost of a good scan is getting more dificult to work as usual.

I would like apply all this excellent stuff on a digital camera, it was a important investment and the quility of them is outstanding.

I would appreciate if you can "light" & suggest the way to follow.
It's important for me make an investement that can use for a 3-4 years period...."at least" ...

Thanks for your advice...
R.

g conversions

I have only just read the post -have you now received the adaptor or conversion and how are the results
Regards

My personal impressions

Since nobody has made any useful input in this matter, I will try to help out as good as I can. I've had my NEX-5 for a year now and I have mostly used it as a digital back with various legacy lenses. The lens I prefer to use is actually a Contax CZ Planar T* 50mm f1.4 with the huge metal hood. The lens and hood is actually larger and heavier than the camera itself, but yet far more nimble ant lighter than a standard DSLR setup. At least IQ and low light performance is very good.

And now regarding the G lenses. I have the 45mm and the 90mm. Both regarded as very fine lenses for the NEX system. Rangefinder lenses do look good on the minimalistic NEX. The only thing making these lenses a bit controversial is the focusing. There are several adapters in varying price range, but not a single one that will provide absolute smooth focusing. I started out buying a cheap noname adapter very similar to the Kipon, but ended up returning it because of the extremely gritty and sticky focusing. I read several postings at several forums and came to the conclusion that the Metabones adapter was the one to go for if optimal focusing feel was important. The Kipon is okay, but the larger ring on the Metabones will always provide better grip and precision when focusing. Each time I put a G lens with the adapter on my camera, I turn the focus ring back and forth to its extremes a few times because I have noticed this helps a little bit. One small thing about the Metabones. You can't change lenses with the adapter attached to the body. The release button is placed in the area facing the camera mount. It is obvious that this is the kind of adapter you buy for each G lens and keep it on.

You will miss the focusing scale, and you will have to struggle from time to time with precision focusing using shallow DOF, but if you ask me, it is bearable. The G lenses perform extremely well and the only critisism I've ever heard about them (when used on the NEX) is that the 28mm can show some corner smearing, and some think the bokeh of the 45 is a little bit "nervous". The 45 and the 90 both produce very crisp results with a nice colour rendition. The 45 would have been my default lens if it had the focusing smoothness and the speed of the CZ 50 f1.4. No doubt about it.

Hi

I can confirm the experience of Beaverhelmet. I have the Contax G 28/2.8, 35/2.0, 45/2.0 and 90/2.8.

I have also the NEX5 (not the NEX 5N). I test currently all the different adapters to mount the G-lenses on my NEX5. The cheaper adapters are not worth it, although they look almost the same like the more expensive ones. They stuck while focusing.

With Kipon adapters it is a lot better (90 Euro). There are already 2 different versions of Kipon adapters. I will post later on images of them. The newer one seems to focus slightly smoother.

I have ordered now a Fotodiox adapter (around 70 Euro) to compare this one with the Kipons. I have not tried yet the Metabones adapter because I heard that the space between the NEX5 grip and the adapter ring is just to small to feel comfortable. But I never had one in my hands. Maybe I will try that one later on too. But this is the most expensive one (around 150 USD).

Unfortunately Novoflex does not offer yet an adapter for the NEX with G-lenses. They seem to be significant better for Leica M lenses on the NEX than all competitors. But expensive (around 150 Euro)

What you have to be aware of is, that there are probelems with focal lenghts below 35mm if it is a rangefinder lens. The NEX 5 has not yet the microlenses like the NEX 5N, so with RF lenses below 35mm, you get corner smearing and colour issues at the borders.

As far as I read it in the net, this is significatly improved with the new sensor in the NEX 5N, but not yet 100% fixed. But I am sure this is achievable with firmware upgrades on the 5N and also with PP.

If you use SLR lenses, this problem will not occur. It occurs only with RF lenses, if the lens comes too close to the sensor. And I hope with the NEX 7 coming in November, this will be no issue at all anymore.

As soon as I have more time, I will post images here.

best wishes

I am highly tempted to buy the Sony Nex 7 mainly because at least it
has a good viewfinder. the 28mm g lens would be nice to use on it. Unfortunately the sensor has not been designed for rf lenses. It is the poor man's leica - very poor !! As mentioned above , with normal and telephone there is no problem . the G lenses are just the perfect size for using with the Nex range.
Regards

Back