DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hello from The Netherlands

stratman1976

Hi,

Greetings from Alkmaar, The Netherlands. My city is located about 40km (25mi) North of Amsterdam.
I registered with my Dpreview name and I was a very frequent reader of the preview fora and comment sections.
One can find me in the Nikon FX/lens and Fujifilm X fora mostly.
At the moment I'm a semi-professional photographer and love to shoot people, so portraits and weddings are my business.
I stopped my business during COVID, but starting to pick it up again, hopefully making a move to full-time pro this year.
I am beginning to dislike corporations and the culture there. I tried my best to avoid working for companies with shareholders, but to no avail.
So, the only thing I can do is have my own business.

Hope to see everyone!

Hi,

Greetings from Alkmaar, The Netherlands. My city is located about 40km (25mi) North of Amsterdam.
I registered with my Dpreview name and I was a very frequent reader of the preview fora and comment sections.
One can find me in the Nikon FX/lens and Fujifilm X fora mostly.
At the moment I'm a semi-professional photographer and love to shoot people, so portraits and weddings are my business.
I stopped my business during COVID, but starting to pick it up again, hopefully making a move to full-time pro this year.
I am beginning to dislike corporations and the culture there. I tried my best to avoid working for companies with shareholders, but to no avail.
So, the only thing I can do is have my own business.

Hope to see everyone!
Welcome here! From The Netherlands as well (although another part of our tiny country). My preference is also shooting portraits, but please no weddings. I like to shoot models / posing. During covid no chance, so I picked up macro photography. Every now and then I sell a print, but I' m reluctant to do any concessions in my photography (and I refuse to). I don' t have to earn a living from photography, so I can pretty much shoot the way I like.

Welcome Stratman! If the 1976 in your username is your birth year, then we're about the same age!

I plan to visit The Netherlands or Greece for the first time next year. I'm a huge fan of Rembrandt's work, and my ex-wife said the Rijksmuseum (sp?) is amazing. She also did an internship in Utrecht and said it was great too. Furthermore, I'm a commuter cyclist and I hear that The Netherlands has the best bike culture in the world. (if your neighbor Belgium is any indication, I can't WAIT!) I read once that either Amsterdam or Copenhagen did a study and found that for every 1 Euro invested in bicycle infrastructure, the long-term payback to the economy is 8 Euro! We are struggling to grasp this in the US.

Good luck on going pro. I thought about it and decided I would rather work for The Man and have good benefits than to go private and have all that risk. It is probably a different environment in The Netherlands.

By the way, what is the difference between "The Netherlands" and "Holland"? Are they the same?

What is the difference between Dutch and Flemish languages? Are they the same?

I like people photography too; I especially like candids. Nothing beats a good candid smile.

Anyway, that's enough for a welcome post. Enjoy your stay!

Back