DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

High Activity on m43 Form

I shoot with M43 because of size and weight.

Why size and weight are so important to me? Aging + worsening health condition. My weakening body does not allow me to carry few kg of gear.

It is easy to understand that senior shooters will have more time to spend.

I guess this might be a reason that M43 forum is more active than others.

I live in Tokyo and I can say that there are indeed many people who shoot M43. Regrettably I'm not one of them though.:z04-menno:
This doesn't surprise me, the Japanese do tend to love mini versions of all kinds of tech.

I'd join you only if I had a Pen F. Big regret I didn't pick on up several years ago when I had a chance. Now it's next to impossible to find a new one. :ROFLMAO:
Keep an eye on the Olympus/OM System refurbished page. The Pen-F shows up there from time time. Not exactly new, but probably as close as you’re going to get, and it does have at least a short manufacturer’s warranty.

Keep an eye on the Olympus/OM System refurbished page. The Pen-F shows up there from time time. Not exactly new, but probably as close as you’re going to get, and it does have at least a short manufacturer’s warranty.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in mind. Do you shoot with one of these beauties?

It's always been great being in the m4/3 forums. It's a mix of two brands that share the same mount, a real mix and match and with excellent resolution and shots to go with it. That helps a lot to keep it moving in different forums.

Danny.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in mind. Do you shoot with one of these beauties?
Not as much as I used to, but it was my primary system for a good while.

The biggest problem with it is that the size doesn’t mix well with large lenses, and I started drifting more and more into using adapted film lenses that tend to be larger and heavier.

Not as much as I used to, but it was my primary system for a good while.

The biggest problem with it is that the size doesn’t mix well with large lenses, and I started drifting more and more into using adapted film lenses that tend to be larger and heavier.
Yeah, with the bigger, heavier lenses a DSLR is better. M43 and N1 are great with smaller lenses.

Yeah, with the bigger, heavier lenses a DSLR is better. M43 and N1 are great with smaller lenses.
Yup. The Panny 20/1.7 is the lens I normally keep on the Pen-F, and it’s a beautiful match; the combo slips right into a jacket pocket, or even a pants pocket if it’s large enough.

It's funny... I've been keeping an eye out for lenses from the film-era PEN's with the thought that they'd be smaller and a better fit for the body. And then one day, I finally spot a Pen-F at an estate sale... and the owner had been adapting M42 lenses to it, so they didn't have any native Pen lenses to get. ^^;;

Oh, well, at least it was a great photo op:

Two Pens.jpg
  • Apple - iPhone SE
  • iPhone SE back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/30 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 64

Last edited:
Yup. The Panny 20/1.7 is the lens I normally keep on the Pen-F, and it’s a beautiful match; the combo slips right into a jacket pocket, or even a pants pocket if it’s large enough.

It's funny... I've been keeping an eye out for lenses from the film-era PEN's with the thought that they'd be smaller and a better fit for the body. And then one day, I finally spot a Pen-F at an estate sale... and the owner had been adapting M42 lenses to it, so they didn't have any native Pen lenses to get. ^^;;

Oh, well, at least it was a great photo op:

View attachment 1026
Love the cold hard metal here--beautiful machinery!

Back