DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

I just bought Contax N1 system any advice for me

I am using the strip W-50 and I have to tell it is much better than the original one even it is a little expensive. :)

Charlie

I'm in the same fortunate boat as Chyeo, having just received a Big Box containing an N1, M-S 100 and VS 70-200.

My adventure began innocently enough. I wanted to start doing macro work and bought a Makro Planar 100 for my C/Y system but, instead of sending me an MM lens they sent an AE lens (AND made me pay for the return shipping after I complained).

I took a hard look at the numbers during the Contax Event and decided that for a mere couple hundred more dollars than the M-P, I could get both the M-S and N1 (after the rebates).

The N1 is a dazzling collection of technology which will take me quite a while to figure out. It's literally more complicated to operate than my car. Not that that's a bad thing, so long as basic shooting with the N soon becomes fast and reflexive.

I mostly use a G2, in addition to my SLR gear (RTS1, 139, Aria) and a T3. Toss in my old 500CM kit and you can see how I've taken to helping put the Zeiss great-grandchildren through college.

The N1's controls seem somewhat familiar at first use, although they lack the silky precision of the G or the best C/Y gear. Of course, it's the pictures that will tell the tale.

I've been pouring through the archives here to pick up hints, and will doubtless have a lot of questions as soon as I can get out and use this new gear.

Regards,

Rick

Back