DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Images of Australia

Tom Caldwell

"Don't you bwell tangle with me mate - I ain't a Wallaby ...."
Panasonic GX7 3 May 2017 1/400 Legacy MF Takumar 35mm
Emerald Beach Headland

P7090688-01.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX7
  • 1/400 sec
  • Spot
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Only a little male here - not big enough yet to organise his own harem.

Last edited:
G’day Skippy…

This particular variety in its male form stands taller than a man even before it rears up on its hind legs. Can hop quicker and higher than we can run. Has muscles like a gym junkie and can rear back on its tail and lash out with those hind legs. A male kangaroo method of sparring in mating season is to grab its opponent with its powerful arms and then try to disembowel its opponent with kicks with its legs. Kangaroo hide is tougher than human hide.

The females are smaller and timid as are the males who will usually take the option of discretion and hop away rather than hop towards. But the males can be quite dangerous to humans if they think that they are being challenged during mating season.

In any case the sheer size of a large male kangaroo usually says 'use discretion' and don't get close.

This is not Skippy the cute little wallaby of a fraction of this size - one close up look of a male this size usually gives the impression of 'cuddly-not". We don't need to be told - sheer size and speed of movement is enough to make us wary.

I am sure that you know this - I am only talking to those who see small, almost cuddly, tamed 'roos of the Wallaby sub-species as an Australian icon.

I am sure that you know this - I am only talking to those who see small, almost cuddly, tamed 'roos of the Wallaby sub-species as an Australian icon.
Wallaby cute and cuddly? I think NOT...

Wallaby.jpg

{Image courtesy of the Sydney Morning Herald}
:ROFLMAO:

This particular variety in its male form stands taller than a man even before it rears up on its hind legs. Can hop quicker and higher than we can run. Has muscles like a gym junkie and can rear back on its tail and lash out with those hind legs. A male kangaroo method of sparring in mating season is to grab its opponent with its powerful arms and then try to disembowel its opponent with kicks with its legs. Kangaroo hide is tougher than human hide.

The females are smaller and timid as are the males who will usually take the option of discretion and hop away rather than hop towards. But the males can be quite dangerous to humans if they think that they are being challenged during mating season.

In any case the sheer size of a large male kangaroo usually says 'use discretion' and don't get close.

This is not Skippy the cute little wallaby of a fraction of this size - one close up look of a male this size usually gives the impression of 'cuddly-not". We don't need to be told - sheer size and speed of movement is enough to make us wary.

Hi Tom
Nice Pic!

I watched a YT video yesterday on this same subject.
Take-away was that they were not to be messed with.

I took these a few years ago at the Hunter Valley (a couple of hours north of Sydney) in early morning and during a very thick fog.
So not the sharpest images and wb corrected.

But just to show the size of the male kangaroo compared to the female.
The upper arms and legs are huge in comparison.

(Em1 mk2 with PL 100-400)

400mm f8 1/640s iso640
View attachment P4134108_Small.jpg

280mm f8 1/640s iso1000

View attachment P4134116_Small.jpg

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
They are all over Emerald Beach Headland just north of here. Lounging around in great family groups. Few actual reports of people being attacked but when you see and realise the sheer physical size of the big males the natural tendency is to give them a wide berth.

In fact in most cases when approached any Kangaroo will sit up and look at you with ears pricked up. Then decide to hop off out of your way. But in rutting season the males can get pretty well steamed up and attack anything that they think might be a rival - including humans.

They don't have many natural enemies except dogs that might enjoy harassing them. But as no longer seen as 'hopping food' they are breeding up in considerable numbers and spreading out into new pastures. We used to have some smaller and cuter Wallabies on our place but since the Big Greys moved in the Wallaby population went. Not an improvement. We don't have a dog. I don't mind them eating the grass - but please guys. Once there were only wallabies, then there were Big Greys and now there are often 10 hanging about a proto-boxing ring. Not sure if it will be so comfortable with 50 or more of them.

When they start to move into local urban areas, as they will do soon enough the local council might be motivated to 'do something".

PS: my image might not look like 'a grey' but that is what they are called and it must have been a trick of the sunlight that gave the fur its glow.

Back