DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Is it a scale model or is it full size?

How do people who make such incredible models dare risk wrecking them in a crash?!
For experienced pilots, crashes are rare. I have a few planes I built in 1990-1991, each with over 100 flights, and I know that A-10 was flying about 12 years ago, at least.

It is a model. Here’s the real deal at a show over Easter, Blenheim New Zealand:
0F86FBBB-B37E-4819-8FEC-B76A407824CF.jpeg
DFF1F496-6942-421D-B5EE-BDF9E3BDA1AF.jpeg
407A7339-B73F-4D0F-88A4-DCD329996A42.jpeg
825E693A-9CC3-4DE2-9965-EC5EF59B02EE.jpeg

It is a model. Here’s the real deal at a show over Easter, Blenheim New Zealand:View attachment 9929View attachment 9932View attachment 9930View attachment 9931
Two different marks there I see.
The nose & cockpit look wrong in the first one - which probably means it's one of the later Griffin engine marks (probably also identified by the 5 blade prop which was only the later versions) I'd guess at a late Mk22 or Mk24 but I'm no expert.
The third shot looks much more like the Merlin powered Spitfires I normally see.

Two different marks there I see.
The nose & cockpit look wrong in the first one - which probably means it's one of the later Griffin engine marks (probably also identified by the 5 blade prop which was only the later versions) I'd guess at a late Mk22 or Mk24 but I'm no expert.
The third shot looks much more like the Merlin powered Spitfires I normally see.
There were two Spitfires at the show - a later one with 5 blade prop, and an earlier one with 4 blade prop. A bit of a display going on with a Fockwulf 190 but wasn't able to see both flying at once. Now who wouldn't give their left testicle to do aerobatics in a Spit !

Many other vintage planes including a beautifully restored Mosquito.

Last edited:
Probably not many of these left... yes it is a V1 flying bomb ... actually flying, launched from a steam catapult and under radio control !

Last edited:
Back