DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Landscapes and City

Cyril Jayant

Attachments

• B004037-R1-09-10.jpg
    EXIF
    B004037-R1-09-10.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 12
Very nice indeed, Cyril. Love the first fountain shot.

I'm off to Paris in 10 days for a walkabout and thought I might take just my M9-P and possibly an SWC, but probably not. Now I don't know whether to hump the SWC or the 203FE ?

What film did you use ? Tripod & Permit ?

Gary

Very nice indeed, Cyril. Love the first fountain shot.

I'm off to Paris in 10 days for a walkabout and thought I might take just my M9-P and possibly an SWC, but probably not. Now I don't know whether to hump the SWC or the 203FE ?

What film did you use ? Tripod & Permit ?

Gary

Hi Gary, Thanks for your generous feed back!
I suggest you the M9 -P and the 203FE as both cameras are very handy on hand held shooting. Tripod attracts lot of attentions when you are in publics and you might miss lot of opportunities.

You don't need a permits to photograph with a tripod except in particular areas like << Jardin de Luxembourg >>or <<Jardin de Chateaux de Versailles>> ( Rois de Soleil) or inside de museums like Rodins or Louvre.

For me there is no exceptions on photographing the city with or with out a Tripod. It is a capital open to discover for any one in all the manners. But one thing is you have to be more than polite for reaching in all your attempts. If you speak French you have more opportunities .

Some Parisians might don't like your you direct approach . In those cases your M9 will be the best choice for the Candid shooting. For the cityscape 203FE will be the best. If You are planing to visit during this Autumn it is the best lightning of Paris of the year. My best photos were always on all the Autumns of the year. I was very fortunate enough to learn all these for living there for about 20 years and exploring the city through cameras and lenses.

All of my photos were done Hand held and amazingly they are not bad. Even with 60-120mm heavy lens. My Favourite B&W Film Tri-X 400 and Fuji velvia

Hope definitely you'll enjoy your visit and experience the great city and like to see perspective when have done it.

Regards and good shooting!

Many thanks for your extended reply, Cyril.

I arrive there on 5 November, so looking forward to the light you refer to. I live in the UK and just discovered it's as cheap to fly to Paris as it is to travel to London by train. Hopefully, this will be the start of many expeditions there.

I'll pack my Gitzo Reporter tripod, but I'll see how well I can manage with my Leica table top tripod. Against a wall, or railing it's perfect and pressed into my chest I can get down to 1/4s.

Cheers.

Many thanks for your extended reply, Cyril.

I arrive there on 5 November, so looking forward to the light you refer to. I live in the UK and just discovered it's as cheap to fly to Paris as it is to travel to London by train. Hopefully, this will be the start of many expeditions there.

I'll pack my Gitzo Reporter tripod, but I'll see how well I can manage with my Leica table top tripod. Against a wall, or railing it's perfect and pressed into my chest I can get down to 1/4s.

Cheers.

Hi there again bladdered!

You'll really enjoy your visit and try to have a good stock of films and extra batteries for your camera. PHOTOSERVICE IS the cheapest High street in Paris and can buy Mi-Format films etc.
I live in London and I prefer to take the train to go to Paris, and it is more
convenient I guess. Some times I use a Monopod and my fire works Photo in this series were done with the Blad on a monopod. Once I used my X-PAN 11 on a monopod in Paris and I got some excellent Photos. Last time when I visit Paris I had my M8 and X-pan. Unfortunately my M8 shutter was broken to peaces while shooting and My X-pan had saved me from all my frustration. It was my second incident of disaster and the first one was while photographing in Mont Blanc France.

Regards
Cyril.

Good info, Cyril. Thanks.

Really looking forward to it.

Manchester - Paris is £105 return.

Any recommendations for good, cheap central hotel accomodation ? I've found central and cheap, but yet to discover if it's good. :). If you can suggest somewhere, I can investigate for next time.

Gary

Back