DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Lets see your B&W

PC102621-dprf.jpg
  • OM Digital Solutions - OM-5
  • LUMIX G VARIO 14-140/F3.5-5.6
  • 140.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/13 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

(Not sure why the exif info is about as tall as the image, seems like a bug in the forum…)

I still cover events and such with my trusty 12 year old Leica M Monochrome (Original M9 CCD version). Everyone is doing cell phone shots so I do the opposite.
Birthday image at a cool venue,
L1004734-2.jpg
  • Leica Camera AG - M Monochrom
  • Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH.
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/90 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 400

Cool. That's great! Do you have your own darkroom? Back in the day (a long time go... late-1970's) when I was in college, I did not have much money (naturally). But I wanted to take pictures and B&W processing was a lot cheaper than color. There was a photo lab close to the university. Of course they did color, but their B&W service was really good. I'd shoot a roll and they would would process the film quickly and provide a contact sheet for just a couple of dollars. The neat thing was... they had a big printing machine for B&W posters @ 2x3 feet (roughly 60 x 90 cm) also for a very low cost. I believe it was around $6 or $9 per print back then, but my memory might be fading. I always used Panatomic-X and a tripod -- for printing BIG. There was a also public darkroom near the university where you could rent by the hour. You had to buy the paper, but they provided the room, enlarger, chemicals, grain focuser, etc. And some soft music. It was nice. Dreamy. So... I went there quite often with a 3-ring binder of negatives and had some fun. A long time ago!

Yes I do have my my own darkroom but its now only a small space in the house which I still use.
I also do alot of hybrid work, make the photograph on film and then scan it

Back