DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Manual Focussing Screens

deshojo

Does anyone know if the split-image/microprism focussing screen for the 1DSMKII will fit the 5D?

If so is it a straight fit or would it need 'trimming' to size.

The Katzeye screen made so much difference to manually focussing my 20D, I wouldn't want to go back to a plain matte screen again.

Thanks,
Matt

There are three screens for the 5D the Ee-A standard supplied screen, the Ee-D Grid type and Ee-S Super precision. Only one in stock right now is the one supplied with the body.

Hmm, I've already installed the Ee-s screen and did some shots with a Contax 85/1.2 manual focus lens mounted on my 5D.

Works really nice, and I have really bad eyesight. No way could I focus that lens @ f/1.2 on the 5D before installing the new precision screen (especially close up). It actually works better than the split microprism I have in my 1DsMKII.

Here's one from walking around the house shooting a test. Focused on the center of the rose...

41408.jpg

Here's another from my walk around the house testing the new screen. 5D with Zeiss 85/1.2 @ f/1.2.

The big image is an extreme blow-up from the full frame (shown in the inset). I focused on the l& pull chain. Never could do that before, take my word for it.

41411.jpg

Hey Mark where did you get the Ee-S screen? I used the regualar one yesterday with the Contax 35-70mm out in the field and boy getting critical focus was next to impossible, stopping down to f16 did help.

> The Ee-D is available as I installed mine yesterday here in Florida, > courtesy Kingston Photo shop, Daytona Beach. Others are now available from > the distributors. I believe, including one that outlines the 8x10 crop > format.

Run, don't walk to the phone, and order one of these puppies Dermot. It isn't the end-all, but it sure seems to work waaaaay better than anything else out there. Next some high ISO shots in darker conditions with a wide angle and a zoom. The 85/1.2 creates a pretty bright viewfinder after all.

Here's a shot from the Zeiss 28/2 @ f/2, 5D @ ISO 640, 1/30th. Heck, I didn't even realize that lens would focus this close ; -)

41414.jpg

The Gingko Leaf was shot with the C/Y 28/2 Distagon Dermot, not the 85/1,2. Can you believe you can shoot that close with a 28?

Here's one with the 28/2 Distagon of our entertainment center. The room was so dark I had to shoot at f/2, ISO 1600, @ 1/25th shutter. I used the screen to focus on the TV, and in the full screen image the word Sony is razor sharp. The EE-S screen is a lifesaver. I now can more confidently use the Zeiss glass on the Canon 5D.

P.S., notice the virtual absence of distortion with this lens? Canon wide lenses would bow at the edges pretty badly. There is some vignetting in the corners, but I think that's the Canon full frame sensor exaggerating fall off.

41417.jpg

Pretty amazing... one of the reasons I have stayed away from Zeiss and Leica on Canon digi is I have not been satisfied I'm getting a sharp enough image. Yes it's mostly my fault as my eye's are not what thay used to be and with my medium format, well,with the size of the image they are just easier. So now I'm giving the Contax 35-70mm a shot as my main" normal" zoom...Mark, have you tried your Contax 70-210mm with the 5D yet?

Back