DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Minolta 100mm F28 macro 2nd Generation

eyesoother

Hello everyone.....
Just to check the minimum focus distance of the 100mm F2.8 lens. My lends seems to do 1:1 focus at a distance shorter than 35cm(0.35m)??

Hi Eyesoother,

waht is your experience with this Macro, I was thinking about purchasing a Macro for my 800si and 9xi. It should be a 100mm lens to wash away the background easier. So a 100/2.8 newest generation would be interesting.

I would be interested above all in the final image quality. If you know the 50mm 2.8 (1:1) how would you compare the two?

Thanks in advance

Dirk

Eyesoother (nice name!),

I believe that 35cm indicates the distance from your subject to the film plane--not the front lens element. This means that your lens can almost be touching your subject and still be in focus!

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

I'd also like to hear (or see!) more about the image quality, which I hear is very good. I have the 50mm version, which I like very much.

There are two specifications:

MOD and CF

MOD = Minimum Operating Distance - the distance from the subject to the front of the lens.

CF = CLose focusing - the distance form the subject to the film plane.

Unless specified, no one know which anyone is talking about.

I have a lens that is 1/4" MOD and 9" CF.

If I were a marketer, I'd mention the 1/4" 'cause it looks better!

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon Minolta Photographer peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.minoltaphotography.com/ http://www.geocities.com/peterblaise/minoltamf/

I have had the 100 mm 2.8 D-series for a year or two. The image quality is spectacular. I use it w/ the Maxxum 7 for alot of macro stuff. I sometimes add an extension tube and ring flash. Great portrait lens as well. (I'll post a few photos this afternoon.)

Back