DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Project 52 for 2024

22/52: As I was driving home from work a few days ago, I noticed that the sky had a nice warm tone from the sunset. I stopped near the harbor where I have taken many pictures over the years. It is quiet and peaceful there... with some faint but appealing low-level industrial noises. I climbed on top of an old concrete piling and set-up the tripod. Took a test shot (settings were good) and then 5 frames (portrait). I should have given this a little more "elbow room" with one more frame on the left. Oh well. Nothing significant. But it is fun to get out and take a picture for Project 52!

T18-cma-cgm-jean-gabriel-small2 by J.E. Frantzen, on Flickr

22/52: As I was driving home from work a few days ago, I noticed that the sky had a nice warm tone from the sunset. I stopped near the harbor where I have taken many pictures over the years. It is quiet and peaceful there... with some faint but appealing low-level industrial noises. I climbed on top of an old concrete piling and set-up the tripod. Took a test shot (settings were good) and then 5 frames (portrait). I should have given this a little more "elbow room" with one more frame on the left. Oh well. Nothing significant. But it is fun to get out and take a picture for Project 52!
Very nice. Excellent duck placement!

T18-cma-cgm-jean-gabriel-small2 by J.E. Frantzen, on Flickr
I understand that you assembled five portrait pictures to get this pano. Am I right ? I find your result very satisfying. A strangely peaceful vision of a major industrial site.

Very nice. Excellent duck placement!
LOL. That's funny. I didn't notice they were there (in the last 2 frames -- since I was shooting kind of slowly) until I processed the images. I cropped a little bit on the right hand side. I have a small but fairly capable travel tripod in the car (it will hold the D810 with the 200-500 lens). The concrete piling was about chest high and flat on top. Fortunately, there was a broken concrete wall adjacent to the piling (which I would need for climbing purposes). Before climbing up, I extended the tripod legs, spread them out, and put the tripod on top of the piling. I was carrying the camera gear in a backpack. I used the broken wall as a "step" to get myself up on the piling. Once I was up there, I realized there wasn't much room to maneuver. Getting the camera out of the bag and then mounting the camera on the tripod was a slow, delicate and deliberate operation. Again, not much room to move around and on top of that there were rocks and water about 2.5 meters below. Don't drop the camera! Once I got things set-up, I had to stand "over on the side" and tilt my head to "kind of" look through the viewfinder... mainly to see if the framing was fairly reasonable. I couldn't really "see" very much. I listened for the focus "beep" and checked the exposure on the rear LCD. Took the 5 shots (slowly). Then put everything away into the backpack and jumped down. Grabbed the tripod, folded-up the legs, and drove home. Once I got the images on the computer, I noticed the birds! And I thought... GOOD! That will maybe give the picture a peaceful effect.

I understand that you assembled five portrait pictures to get this pano. Am I right ? I find your result very satisfying. A strangely peaceful vision of a major industrial site.
Yes, 5 frames in portrait orientation. I cropped just a slight bit on the right. The left was tight. As I mentioned, I should have grabbed one more frame on the left, but I appreciate your positive comment. Sometimes... panos "work" (in regard to composition) and sometimes... they don't. But I do like to fiddle with panos. I like the processing and assembly aspects.

23/52

This little medal is signed by O. Roty, creator of the sower that has adorned French coins since the changeover to the new franc (link in French) until the arrival of the euro. Aggressive cleaning has left its mark on it, but in my opinion it remains very beautiful and carries a message worth pondering.

810_8529 1.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • 150 mm f/2.8
  • 150.0 mm
  • ƒ/32
  • 6 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 64

The bottom right-hand corner reads AMICUS PLATO SED MAGIS AMICA VERITAS, which means Plato is dear to me, but truth is even dearer. This phrase, attributed to Aristotle, is opposed to the argument of authority, according to which the mere quality of the person issuing it could establish the truth of a proposition. The importance of the attitude advocated by Aristotle in all scientific endeavours is suggested by the word SCIENTIA in the upper left banner.

Very nice tele-macro. Your "150/2.8" - is this the Sigma 50-150? Excellent IQ. I like the colors, too! Faith and trust. When those things break down, "the system" breaks down.

Very nice tele-macro. Your "150/2.8" - is this the Sigma 50-150? Excellent IQ. I like the colors, too! Faith and trust. When those things break down, "the system" breaks down.
It is actually a brand new Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 Dragonfly. As a manual lens with no stabilization and a rather long focal length, it is not that easy to use but it has become quite unexpensive (about 300 euros/dollars, less than half its former price in France) and is beautifully made of metal.

Back