DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Project 52 for 2024

Very nice! Lighting is excellent along with the sky/background. D810... yes. I will take some time later today... and read the history lesson!
Thank you. I must admit this is fairly recent knowledge for me :)

28/52: I have not taken very many pictures in the past week, but I was able to stop briefly at a nice viewpoint (Hamilton Viewpoint) before meeting with a friend after work. This is a 5-frame stitch (images taken in landscape orientation). Cropped and downsized. The tug is the same one (Bo Brusco) as the week 27 picture!

hamilton-viewpoint-small by J.E. Frantzen, on Flickr

28/52: I have not taken very many pictures in the past week, but I was able to stop briefly at a nice viewpoint (Hamilton Viewpoint) before meeting with a friend after work. This is a 5-frame stitch (images taken in landscape orientation). Cropped and downsized. The tug is the same one (Bo Brusco) as the week 27 picture!

hamilton-viewpoint-small by J.E. Frantzen, on Flickr
Nice picture. I have two questions:

1- Why did you take the images with landscape orientation? Usually people use portrait orientation to give more height to their panos.
2- What does J.E. stands for? It would be nicer to call you by your given name than by using your rather esoteric pseudo.

Eric (aka Brat)

Good Evening -- it's late in Paris... maybe... 22:30? :)

1. Yes... I most often shoot vertical/portrait frames for panos and I especially like "tele-panos" -- zooming-in for extra detail, and then stitching. Kind of a weird obsession, but with the nice cameras and lenses we have, I think it is cool to bring out the details. I tend to make this more of a technical exercise rather then leaning toward the creative side. But I strive for a clean result with no seams and straight verticals, etc. Mostly handheld, but sometime use a tripod. I'm a weirdo, I'll admit it. In this case, I was using the Nikkor 60mm "micro" and there was plenty of headroom, so landscape worked fine... otherwise it would have been twice as many frames and I probably would have had to crop out a lot of sky and foreground.

2. This is a long story. The short answer is... "John-Erik" -- but since I was born in the USA, nobody could seem to "figure it out" (you know how little kids are... "What's your name again?") so instead of trying to explain it over and over, it just morphed into "John" for simplicity.

Good Evening -- it's late in Paris... maybe... 22:30? :)

1. Yes... I most often shoot vertical/portrait frames for panos and I especially like "tele-panos" -- zooming-in for extra detail, and then stitching. Kind of a weird obsession, but with the nice cameras and lenses we have, I think it is cool to bring out the details. I tend to make this more of a technical exercise rather then leaning toward the creative side. But I strive for a clean result with no seams and straight verticals, etc. Mostly handheld, but sometime use a tripod. I'm a weirdo, I'll admit it. In this case, I was using the Nikkor 60mm "micro" and there was plenty of headroom, so landscape worked fine... otherwise it would have been twice as many frames and I probably would have had to crop out a lot of sky and foreground.

2. This is a long story. The short answer is... "John-Erik" -- but since I was born in the USA, nobody could seem to "figure it out" (you know how little kids are... "What's your name again?") so instead of trying to explain it over and over, it just morphed into "John" for simplicity.
Thank you for these informative replies, John. The only mystery left seems to be why 1971_M5?

29/52

These algae grow on a wall bordering a launching jetty in the port of Piriac.

810_0525 1.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Nikon F)
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 64

29/52: My apologies, I have not been able to "get out" much for photos in the past week. But we had three stems of lilies (oriental lilies) in a big vase on the entryway table that opened-up just beautifully. Here is a picture when they were still in the bud stage. Amazing fragrance, too.

53865048312_b511d31991_o.jpglily-small by J.E. Frantzen, on Flickr

Back