DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Pink band in night shots

Barbie Heid

Top Poster Of Month
Hi all. I'm having a problem with a pink band at the bottom of all of my night shots. I tried to research it, and read that it'd due to an incorrect WB. If I'm using Kelvins of 3000-4000, why is this happening? Thanks!

I was hoping for some concert photos -- from the "Pink Band" :) LOL

But to your issue... if it is a distinct "band" in a specific location, then the WB setting would not (should not) be a factor. If you look at some of your older night shits, is the "band" visible? Or is this something new... just happening now? Was there a unique light source behind you and possibly some light getting though the viewfinder? If you use a different lens, is the "band" still there?

I was hoping for some concert photos -- from the "Pink Band" :) LOL

But to your issue... if it is a distinct "band" in a specific location, then the WB setting would not (should not) be a factor. If you look at some of your older night shits, is the "band" visible? Or is this something new... just happening now? Was there a unique light source behind you and possibly some light getting though the viewfinder? If you use a different lens, is the "band" still there?
It's in all of my night shots and even some low light dusk shots. It's at the bottom, and I've always gotten it, not new. The last time it happened it was jet black, no light, and I still get it. It happens regardless of the lens.

Hi Barbie,

Can you show us an example photo?

If these are long exposures, it could be amplifier-glow from the edge of the sensor. Is it an older camera?

Can you activate LENR (long exposure noise reduction, aka dark-frame subtraction) in the Settings?

Hi Barbie,

Can you show us an example photo?

If these are long exposures, it could be amplifier-glow from the edge of the sensor. Is it an older camera?

Can you activate LENR (long exposure noise reduction, aka dark-frame subtraction) in the Settings?
I'll make a jpeg of a shot. It's not the newest camera, a Nikon D7100. I haven't tried LENR but I will.

I shot with the D7100 for 5-6 years (from 2013 to early 2019) and did not encounter this issue. I took quite a few night pictures with relatively long exposures. Of course, I had to deal with some noise (also in the daytime blue sky) and I did encounter the "banding" issue when pulling shadows (heavily) in post... especially on long/night exposures. These were a couple of the reasons why I bought a good-condition (used) D810 in December 2018. But I never encountered a "pink band" in the D7100 images. On second thought, there may have been some pink "tone" coming through (rarely) -- but that was only when I really stomped hard on the RAW files (so I learned when to back off). But it wasn't a distinct "band" as you say). I really liked/like the D7100. Still have it. The Toshiba sensor was a departure for Nikon and in some ways I has a unique "look" that sets it apart. I remember when I got the D7100 (after my D300 was stolen)... and I saw the first 24 MP NEF on my large monitor, I said "Wow." In a good way. Does the "pink band" exist in the OOC JPEGS, or is it only in your PP'd images?

Back