DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Populating the Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam007

Thanks for doing this! Trying to think of a good Clone Wars joke...

As I suppose was inevitable, the forums are not populated with content from DPR. Since DPR permits users to download all their content, is there a way of migrating the forum content here? Frankly, this sounds like a lot of work and I'm not even sure what it would look like, to have, say, 1/10th of a conversation uploaded. I'll leave this to the smarter people around here!

Thanks again,

Adam

Trying to think of a good Clone Wars joke...

yes please... :z04-carrot:

Since DPR permits users to download all their content, is there a way of migrating the forum content here?

Yes. You can copy your own content from drpreview, open here a new thread and paste it in. :daumenhoch-smilie:

I'm not even sure what it would look like, to have, say, 1/10th of a conversation uploaded

The start of a thread is the most important point. If you have posted something important over there, simply start a thread and ask the question for your answer yourself. Then paste your answer after that.

yes please... :z04-carrot:

Yes. You can copy your own content from drpreview, open here a new thread and paste it in. :daumenhoch-smilie:

The start of a thread is the most important point. If you have posted something important over there, simply start a thread and ask the question for your answer yourself. Then paste your answer after that.
Dirk, I think you were answering a question different from the one I was asking, but it might not matter! I wondered, "How to reproduce the content of DPR threads?" Now, if I followed your suggestion, the threads would be - is the term "ambiguated"? - divorced from context, and not in any proper order. After reading your answer, I wonder if that really matters. As long as keyword searches get to the same results (however scattered across "reborn" threads), I guess this would still work. Thanks for replying.

Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were thinking about a small amount of postings (<100) of each user, which are really worth to rescue because it was some information you do not get easy on the net and took a lot of effort to put together. Then each user should copy that and post it here. But to make sense for new readers, you have also to post the question which leaded to your answer of that specific posting.

If you want to duplicate all old threads with all postings included, this is not possible. My guess is that you are not allowed to to that according to their ToU.

Or do I miss here something?

Right. -I was thinking about "all" postings. The IP issues are interesting, though I suspect they could be overcome. For example, if *everyone* were to scrape their DPR accounts (with permission), nothing prevents them from re-assembling them here or anyone else. Arguably, third parties can do the same...but that is more involved.

In any event, thank you for making this site happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back