DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Powershot Pro 1

vana32

I hope I am in the right place for discussions on the Canon Powershot Pro 1. 8 megapixels and 28 - 200 L lens.
Mine will be arriving next week as they are here in Australia.
Has anyone else got one yet?

I haven't decided yet.
I'm very keen on getting one but I'm put off by some reviews stating that this camera shows a high degree of noise.
Since I intend to use it as a candid camera indoor with low light, I'm note sure if I'd better keep my G2 instead.
Any opinions out there (esp. about Pro1 noise?)

I saw it for the first time on April 2, bought one on April 6. I live in the Chicago area (USA). The store where I boughr it sold about 6 units last week.

The photos are fantastic! I have not taken any low light shots at any ISO above 100. At 100, the images are excellent. I have not noticed any problem with noise. All the shots I have taken were very clean.

Outdoors in sunlight or cloudy conditions - WOW.
I especially like the Macro and Super Macro modes. You can gets great shots of wild flowers with this camera.

The zoom, manual focus, and all exposure modes are great. If you put the A/F in continuous, you can shoot about as fast as you want.

The menus are easy to navigate, however it would be nice if you could organize the order of the menu items so you could have the ones you use most often at the top. Some of the items I will use aclot, like Super Macro, can't be used in the Custom modes.

All controls are easy to use and easy to reach. The camera fits well in your hand and is a joy to use.

The electronic viewfinder is the best I have seen. (I have a Sony 717 and a Panasonic - I just put the Sony up for sale and gave the Panasonic to my daughter)

I will take some time to try out all the features of this camera in detail, but I should have them tested out by the end of April.

Jim

I saw it for the first time on April 2, bought one on April 6. I live in the Chicago area (USA). The store where I boughr it sold about 6 units last week.

The photos are fantastic! I have not taken any low light shots at any ISO above 100. At 100, the images are excellent. I have not noticed any problem with noise. All the shots I have taken were very clean.

Outdoors in sunlight or cloudy conditions - WOW.
I especially like the Macro and Super Macro modes. You can gets great shots of wild flowers with this camera.

The zoom, manual focus, and all exposure modes are great. If you put the A/F in continuous, you can shoot about as fast as you want.

The menus are easy to navigate, however it would be nice if you could organize the order of the menu items so you could have the ones you use most often at the top. Some of the items I will use aclot, like Super Macro, can't be used in the Custom modes.

All controls are easy to use and easy to reach. The camera fits well in your hand and is a joy to use.

The electronic viewfinder is the best I have seen. (I have a Sony 717 and a Panasonic - I just put the Sony up for sale and gave the Panasonic to my daughter)

It will take some time to try out all the features of this camera in detail, but I should have them tested out by the end of April.

Jim

sorry about the double post - but my connection dropped just as I hit the post button
jim

I also have the Powershot Pro 1 and really love it. However, I have had some noise in a couple of the photos - not noticable until you view the photo at 100% so I have bought noise reduction from Neat Image which does an excellent job of getting rid of noise.
http://www.neatimage.com/
Wendy

Wendy -

Under what shooting conditions (lighting, ISO setting, etc) did you get the noise? I have not tried any low-light photos yet. I don't usually shoot in those conditions with digital - film is still better for low-light photography.

All of the shots I havevtaken so far are in sunlight or cloudy conditions and there is no noticable noise in the shadows areas.

I have heard of the Neat Image software and one review said it was one of the best noise reduction package out. I was thinking of buying it - just in case.

I hope to do some more shooting this weekend and might try some low-light shots at higher ISO settings. I usually shoot at ISO 50 or 100.

All of the 8 MP cameras seem to be suffering from a noise problem. I wonder if 8 MP is too much for a small sensor chip.

Anyone have any comments or ideas on this?

Jim

I have just bought a Pro 1 and looking forward to get some good quality shots with that... One thing that I will be needing in the future is an external flash. Does anybody have experience of the 220EX, 420EX and 550EX? I suppose that camere balance is not too good with the 550EX? Any experience with the other makes than Canon?

Jarmo

I have all 3 flashes and have used them on my G1. The 550 is a little big, the 420 works well and the 220 is the perfect size but for some reason the 220 overexposes everything. Just on the G1 not my film cameras..... strange.....

To Jarmo:
I used a 420 ex to good effect with the G2 when I had one. It did not overwhelm it as badly as the 550. I did try both and thought the 420 just worked better with the G camera.

Back