DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax Aria

>Posted by Rick Dreher on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 2:34 am: > >I was prepared to be a no-plastic-Contax snob before relenting and >buying an Aria anyway. > >Wouldn't you know it, mine hit the pavement from a height of about >three feet a couple months after I bought it. Aside from a couple of >small nicks in the prism housing, there's no other mark to be seen. >Based on my earlier experiences, any metal-skinned camera, Contax or >not, would have sustained scrapes to the finish and would probably >have dented as well. The Aria shrugged off my carelessness quite well. > >--Rick

I'm very impressed with the Aria discussion and am interested in changing from my original RTS to a used Aria, primarily because of the weight advantage.

What I have is an original RTS demo model, the ones they made with the gold-plated base for use in dealer demos when the product was introduced. That tends to make it more or less a collectors item since only a few were made. I have two motor drives (one doesn't work just now I think) and a sports grip and a diopter adapter for the viewfinder, -2 I think it is, and a shutter extension cable (which may fit the Aria, don't know for sure).

I am the original owner and it has had one repair, maybe 3-4 years ago, when Kyocera fixed a shutter linkage.

Any idea what I should try to sell it for on eBay or elsewhere?

Any interest out there in this camera? I can supply clear photos if there is any interest.

My lenses are a 50mm Zeiss Planar T* Y/C lens made in Japan, a 25mm Zeiss Distagon T* Y/C lens made in Germany, and a 70-210 Yashica zoom, all of which are fine lenses and it would probably make sense to just keep them.

Thanks,

Don Williams

Back