DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax Aria

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
...the lovely SLR answer to the Leica M6...

When the Contax Aria hit the market in 1998, I was a happy user of an RTS II and an S2. Since I love the old fashioned design of the Contax cameras, I was quiet cold, what this kind of full featured (assuming) plastic camera is giving me, what I can not have with my other Contax’s. So I did not care so much about the Aria, although I found the prospect beautiful attractive made.

Then, one year ago, a friend of mine talked a lot about the Aria and all the benefits of having a small and light camera instead of his heavy metal RX or my RTS III (which I used last year). So he ended up buying it and made the mistake to lend it to me for a week-trip to Italy.

I must admit, that after using this tiny jewel, I changed my mind by 180 degrees. First of all, it is not a plastic camera. As far as my experience with Contax goes, there simply does not exist a plastic camera in the Contax philosophy. Even if they use modern materials, it never feels or looks cheap. It is always this great Contax-feeling. I think most of the Contax users know what I mean.

Secondly, it really has everything you need. An internal silent motor, three different metering methods, good viewfinder, very good compact handling and all that in a body of the size of an Leica M6, just lighter. Just think about it. We are talking here about an SLR, which gives you the possibilities, just rangefinder cameras have been able to give you in the past. I was already impressed by the size of the Contax S2, but now also with modern electronic and an internal winder – this comfort in this size was new for me. As far as I heard it from others, the 139 and 137 must have been in the same size.

O.k., if you are really searching for it, there are also disadvantages. The Aria has no mirror lock up and no 100% viewfinder. But which entry level model of other brands have that? – None. The on/off switch is kind of stiff – not Contax like.

Most shootings I made have been with center weighted metering. I did not trust the Matrix mode, because it was knew to me. As it turned out, on some test-pictures, the matrix-metering overexposed always by 0,5-1,5 stops. I do not know whether that was my mistake, but I heard it also from others. Very good is the information in the viewfinder, by how many stops the matrix metering differs compared to the center weighted metering. The little switch for changing the metering mode is good located at the right rear of the camera. You do not have to look up to use it. But it is kind of stiff. The same for the ON/Off switch. This is the stiffest one I have seen at Contax. really to hard to turn with the forefinger without looking at it.

The information in the viewfinder are on the right hand side. Sometimes in bright sunlight difficult to see. But this can be also because of my glasses, that I am wearing. But you always have to turn your head to the right side, to read the info. 95% Viewfinder and a 0.82 magnification makes it more easy to focus manually and looking with glasses. Viewfinder is not as bright as RX or any RTS, but this is normal, if you look at the price difference. You can program the AE lock to be activated by half pressing the shutter button.

Exchangeable screens, a “sophisticated” data back for aperture and shutter speed etc. imprinting in between the pictures (on the frame) or on the first two pictures are impressing me a lot for an entry level camera. These are more likely features for a pro model at other brands.

The advantage of the lighter body has also disadvantages. Some of the newer Zeiss Zooms are quiet heavy. You should be cautious using them without any accessories. I used also the 28-85 zoom with it and had no problems. But I guess a 100-300 would be not the best fit on a tripod.

For more specific technical details, please look at News & Info. For a comparison with the Contax NX look in the NX thread.

Summary of most important points

happy.gif
Very good handling
happy.gif
Very light
happy.gif
Professional accessories (i.e. “sophisticated” databack, exchangeable focussing screens)
happy.gif
3 Different Metering Modes
happy.gif
Many custom functions
sad.gif
On/Off switch to stiff
sad.gif
No mirror lock up
sad.gif
Matrix metering not as good as CWM
sad.gif
Viewfinder info to much on the right side

Excellent price/performance ratio (899 Euro) - compared to other Contax models !

Dirk.

> I agree that photographers are weird folk ! I had an R8, sold it because i= t=20 > was too big and heavy, bought another R7, and swapped the whole kit for an= =20 > Aria with two zooms and the 85 and 50 lenses. I was as happy as a clam=20 > until my eyes went funny. I then went back into Canon EOS, for the=20 > autofocus I now really need, sold my Leica M6s and bought Contax G2s, and=20 > have now binned the Canons ! I would have liked to get a Contax SLR, N1 o= r=20 > NX, but couldn=B4t justify the price now that I am retired, so I bought a=20 > Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7 with 24-105 and 100-300 D zooms. I love the Minolt= a=20 > results, but am aware that the Zeiss lenses are sharper with my G2s. =20 > Bottom line, though - how I wish I could still see well enough to manually= =20 > focus an Aria - the finest travel camera I ever owned. Robin Adshead

I have had an Aria body with 50mm /1.7MM, 28/2.8AE and 85 2.8 Sonnar. I experienced some rare efects with this body and sold it: underexposition, an extrain effect in some portraits and light but unacceptable out of focus with the Sonnar.

Benigafull

A question to Any PROS. By Pros I mean folks who make a living from taking pictures and use the Aria.

It is an intriguing camera to me. A lot good things and the Contax lenses (well they speak for themselves in most focal lenghts).

I do heavily question it's durability. A molded (not metal) film door and the stories I have heard about bizzare electrical and shutter problems.

Again pros or daily users ONLY please tell me about your experiences.

Thanks.

I have head any problems with the ARIA (out of focus with tele lenses, for ex&le, electrical rarities, inaccurate metering, etc.) It's maybe an exception, but it's my exception, and I sold it.

Thanks.

> Hi Leopoldo, I have the same problem with Aria. It is out of focus with tele zoom lens 80-200mm/f4. Peter >

Thanks Peter Ye and Leopoldo for your input. I appreciate it. Both your experiences confirmed why I have bulked at buying the camera.

Regarding the Aria camera body, and holding it up to 'Pro' requirements: It was never marketed by Contax as a Pro camera. As the least expensive (by far) Contax SLR manual focus camera, it offers a way into the Zeiss lenses at a reasonable cost. I believe it is competively priced, far from the 'Pro' bodies of any other manufacturer.

I'd like to jump to Contax system by buying Aria. The question is if it's worth the money. What do you think about quality of Aria? I hope that problems mentioned on this page are fixed already in 2002.

Thanks,

Karel

Back