DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Stain on sensor

Hi Marc,

To view the pictures, use the folloing link
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=danielgagne&password=57212432

Click once on one of the pictures, you will now be in the large view screen. Then you'll see the "original size" link as described on one of my other posts.

And by the way, it doesn't seem to be dust on the sensor.

I took the camera out of the box, and face down I attached the lenses. Then I took pictures to verify if there was spots on the image, and there was. The camera is brand new, not a week old yet. The first one had the problem too right from the begining and I had the camera for two weeks.

So within a moth I had two brand new cameras with problems.

I spoke with the guy at the store and he will have yet another talk with his Canon representative to try in working something out with my problem.

The thought of dust on the sensor and having to clean it regularly really puts me off a DSLR although I believe that the Olympus has a patent method of catching the dust on to a sticky pad. Even that has to be cleaned up at service which means having regular services. To me, it is shades of cleaning a fresnel screen or mirror which is a decidedly dodgy thing to attempt.
I had a demonstration of the Canon 300D in a shop. I think the 300D is called the Rebel in the US. The shop assistant refused to take the lens off to demonstrate that aspect and try another lens for the very reason that dust could get on the sensor. I was immediately put off.
The idea of a digital camera with a fixed long range lens such as the current "bridge" cameras appeals to me but they get terrible reviews for the most important aspect - picture quality. Also they have the dreaded electronic viewfinders. So for the moment I am sticking to film and scanning (even though it is a very slow process) apart from snapshots. We have an excellent Casio which is very handy for snaps.
Cheers,
John

Trust me Daniel, it's dust not stains. No big deal. It's also no big deal to clean the sensor, because actually it isn't the sensor you are cleaning but the filter or glass in front of it. I clean mine every so often. If a dust bunny shows up on a photo I just clone it out. They usually don't even show up unless in an even toned flat expanse of sky or whatever.

I also scan films, especially B&W films. IMO, it's much easier to clone out a few dust spots on a digital shot than all the dust on a neg., no matter how careful you are at cleaning it.

Yes it is a pain removing the dust but I find that slides don't suffer from dust to anywhere near the same extent as negatives. I appreciate that it is probably pretty easy to clone out sensor dust spots but my Aria and RX also give me a decent full size viewfinder which the digital cameras I have looked at do not. I must admit though that I haven't tried the 1Ds etc. I cannot get them to try where I live except on special order which I would then have to buy - something of a risk!

I'm not waging an anti digital thing here at all. I'm all for digital when a model which suits my needs is produced. Maybe the RD1? I couldn't possibly afford the forthcoming Leica or its lenses, sadly.

Sorry if I caused offence talking of snaps. I didn't of course mean to imply that snaps is only what digital is good for, as it might have seemed from my post. I think digital is great. It's just that we use our little Casio compact for what might be termed as snaphots and very useful it is too and it produces super shots.
Nor do I have to produce wedding type pictures for sale as you do Marc or produce pictures for the press. If I did I am completely sure that I would have gone dedicated digital by now.
Best wishes,
John

Daniel, I, too, agree that my digital files are spotless when compared with the files I get by scanning slides via a Nikon Filmscanner.

When I detect dust spots I will learn to clean the cover over the sensor.

The big plus for me since I added the Canon digital Rebel to my collections is that my prints are so clean by comparison with scans before.

Mary Lou

Dust is round because it is basically round and out of focus.

As far as scanned slides verses digital. I guarantee, I can load a digital file and clean up a few dust spots before a scanner is even warmed up let alone all the time it takes to scan at a decent resolution.

I love film and still shoot it a lot and scan my own slides and negs. But don't think scanned film can be anywhere as fast as a direct digital output.

Back