DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

i am interested in buying a g1 but i was wondering if there is some sort of focus confirmation with the auto focus or do you just hope that it is focused? how about with manual focus? thanks.

Hi, Matthew! Yes, there is focus confirmation in the viewfinder of the the G1 and manual focus is also possible! I don't know how accurate it works on the G1, but on my G2 it works all right! On a little scale in the viewfinder you can even see on what distance the focus is locked. But why not buy a (second hand?) G2? It is a far more sophisticated camera. Good luck! Frank Lindeman

Matthew, the only confirmations you get are the distance scale in the viewfinder and the distance read-out in the left LCD panel (on the top of camera). Focusing with G1 needs some practice, especially in low light condition (don't know about G2). I've been using my G1 for about 2 months, and I've never failed focusing. G2 is faster and more accurate to my knowledge.

Trisnadi

Is it possible to turn off auto-rewind on G1? If yes, how do I rewind the film? Is it by the 'R' button in the bottom plate of the camera?

Thanks, Trisnadi

thank you frank and trisnadi for your response. i guess what i was trying to find out is, if you focus on a subject can you visually see that the the intended subject is in focus or do you have to know the distance of the subject from the camera and set the manual focus dial accordingly? i am new to rangefinder cameras, but i understand that most rangefinders have a double image that you match up in the viewfinder to focus. is this the case with the g1? thanks for all your help.

regards,
matthew

> [Been following this thread with interest. With my G1, there is no way to know what exactly is 'in focus ' when viewing through the finder. Yes, it gives you distance etc, but you can really only hope and assume that the very centre of the finder is in focus. Sometimes the focus system gets 'tricked' when there are extremes of colour ie black object or white object, so you have to really get used to knowing the precise point the camera will focus on. I usually don't have any trouble with this (on occasion), but my wife very often churns out unfocused photos, in spite of patiently explaining to her about where to focus her attention before focusing in the finder! Only with a manual focus rangefinder, such as the Voigtlanders, will you see the fabled 'split image' which you then must line up - and of course, once you've lined up the split images, you'll have no doubt about the precise point in the finder which is in focus.]

Matthew, the G1 is en autofocus camara! The only thing is, you can't see on what object the camara focusses, only the distance that object is away from the camera. You can see the dintance on a little LCD on top of the camara and in the viewfinder. You can however also set the distance manualy.

I hope this answers your question!

Frank

I'd like to experiment with infra red film in a G1, but have heard a rumour about the IR film counter inside the body fogging the film.
Has anyone tried before?

Geert

> Yes I have tried it and you will get a little fog at the sprockets but not in the image area. You will need to use a changing bag to load the camera because the film should not be removed from the can in the light. It will fog by light piping through the film base. If you get into it, I have a Hoya 55mm IR filter RM90 I might sell.

Dave

> [Dear Mark: Funny you and I seems to encounter the same problem! I am curious which Voitldr.model that match t'G1 quality yet has that split manual focus features? Thanks.email:iwilsonnrca@yahoo.com.] >

Back