DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Lynn,

for flash questions please look at the thread "Contax G-System: G-accessories: Do I Need A TLA 200 Flash?"

Till

Lynn,
In short - yes you can use the G1 & 90mm as a portrait outfit. However, it has its limitations. For ex&le the auto focus is not infallible as it needs an area of decent contrast to lock onto. The more expensive G2 is better.

For the flash - then it is possible to use additional flash units by either linking them using a junction box or more simply by using slave flash units that fire automatically when they sense other units being fired. Any flash unit that uses the standard one pin connection on the hotshoe will work or you can use the PC socket to trigger the flash.

If you live anywhere near Yorkshire you are welcome to try out my G cameras to see whether they are suitable. In my opinion for the type of work you envisage I would suggest an Aria or 167 might be better.

Clive

The viewfinder does not give a 100% image - far from it. And, the closer to the subject you are the more you have to allow for parralax error. The G1 has a moveable mask that adjusts to suit the lens and focus distance to give reasonably accurate focusing on the top left corner. But you have to guess how much is out of view bottom right.

Thanks, Clive, for the very thorough answer. I appreciate the insight. That is a kind offer to test out your system, too bad I'm not local or that would be great. (I'm located in state of Wisconsin, US)

Thanks for the suggestion of 167 and Aria. I'm probably a-typical in this, but I don't really care for the 167. Had it, but didn't like the way things were arranged and displayed in the viewfinder. The Aria has a wonderful display when looking through the viewfinder, but for some reason, I just can't quite get comfortable with the body in my hands. (I am too fussy.)

A friend and I might make a 2 hour drive down to Chicago in the next couple months to check out some of these bodies/lenses in person. Hopefully that will help me make my decision for which Contax body is best for me.

By the way, Yorkshire always has a warm spot in my heart due to James Herriot. Between his descriptions in all his books and then the photos in "James Herriot's Yorkshire" he created a serious case of envy in me for that countryside. I've spent time in Scotland, but not yet in England - hoping one of these days I can do some exploring in Herriot-country. I even like the weather! Lucky you to already be there! Again, thanks for the help re: the G systems. -Lynn

Hi Lynn (or 'Ayeup' as we are supposed to say in God's Broad Acres)

If you are familiar with SLRs then you will appreciate that the viewfinder shows exactly what youe are going to get on film especially if you intend to shoot wide open at f2.8. Rangefinders and I include the G Series in this catagory do not and the biggest problem that you wil find with a 90mm at f2.8 is a wafer thin depth of field. The G1 is sadly not able to gurantee accurate focusing in the conditions you describe. Even the G2 would give a high proportion of shots where the point of focus was not where you intended.

As for visiting Yorkshire; do not forget the North Yorkshire Coast around Whitby and the surrounding moorland. You can view some photos of this area on my homepages www.nicepix.org.uk

If you do get chance to cross the pond give me a call or drop me a line and I can point you in the right direction.

Clive

I understand that other G1 users have complained about the friction-free manual focus wheel and how easily it can be inadvertenlty moved. Here's a non-invasive remedy that I came up with: I slipped a small piece of rubber tubing over the post between the focus dial and the speed dial. This provides just the right amount of friction so the dial doesn't move unless I want it to. I leave the camera set on 5 meters at f8 and am getting wonderful results.

Best,

Bishop

Clive, Lynn - I don't know why Clive doesn't think the G 90mm is suitable. I have recently shot an entire 36 film full of headshot pictures of my girlfriend using my G1 and 90mm lens with Agfa 160 portrait film. Every picture was 100% in focus ( I shot at f8 amd f11 with a TLA 200 flash) I have honestly never taken better photos than these!

Vivian

> Hi Vivian, I don't think Clive really said it was unsuitable. Read through his first reply to me and you'll notice he gives pros and cons for its use for this purpose. Everything has to be weighed according to the users preferences and needs. I'm just too fussy for my own good ;)

Good to have your feedback on its use for portraiture though, thank you for the reply. -Lynn

Hi Vivian,

Sorry to be pedantic, but if you read the thread from the start Lynn advocates shooting at f2.8 on a 90mm. At normal head and shoulder portrait distances the depth of field would be insufficient to guarantee the correct point of focus (usually the eys) with a camera like the G1. According to my depth of field chart the d. of f. at 2 metres at f2.8 is but a few millimetres whilst at f8 it is about 20 centimetres. This means that if you focus on the eyes then re-compose you cannot be sure where the focus point will be unless you and the subject are statues.

A SLR however will show through the viewfinder exactly what depth of field is available at f2.8 simply because that is the usual aperture for open aperture viewing. It makes for more accurate focusing.

Clive

Vivian,

Sorry, my mistake - Lynn does not advocate using the 90mm at f2.8. However, I stand by my opinion that the G1 is not the best camera for portaiture because of the reasons given.

Clive

Back