DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

The Wasserman rewind crank is beautifully made and works very nicely. I've found it can tend to snag a bit on the inside of my Lowepro bag, but that's because the inner material is rather loose. Billingham bag users will find no such problem.

While fungus threads can look horrific they are likely to make little difference to image quality in their relatively early stages. If they are not very extensive and you don't want to spend the money on getting the lens rebuilt just now (and this applies to Southern Hemisphere users and Northern Hemisphere holidaymakers for the next five months or so) - stick the lens out in bright sunshine with the diaphragm wide open for a day or two. The UV will kill the fungus or at least seriously stunt its growth. This advice came to me from a lens technician and was backed up by a microbioloist! It doesn't mean your lens won't need a rebuild - but it stops the fingus spread AND its production of acids.

> Andy Whysall said: > > While fungus threads can look horrific they are likely to make little > difference to image quality in their relatively early stages. If they > are not very extensive and you don't want to spend the money on > getting the lens rebuilt just now (and this applies to Southern > Hemisphere users and Northern Hemisphere holidaymakers for the next > five months or so) - stick the lens out in bright sunshine with the > diaphragm wide open for a day or two. The UV will kill the fungus or > at least seriously stunt its growth.

Yeah, and be sure to take the lens OFF the camera when you try this, or you will burn a lovely arc into your shutter curtain!

Sonny

Sorry, I meant to say: put the lens, OFF the camera, out in the bright sunshine, on an equatorial mounting, suspended sufficiently far from some highly combustible material so as to perfectly focus the sun's rays and set fire to a major tract of scientifically important ancient woodland, or if you do not have access to that, at least one quarter of a major city.

Oversight on my part. Apologies again.

Hi all,
I have just bought a M2 in nice "user" condition, and would like to take it out to use now. If I were to buy a new M 35/f2asph Summircon, I will have to wait till the Summer or alternatively I can buy the Voigtlander 35f1.7 or either the Konica Hexanon 50f2 to use immediately. Which is the better choice? Any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations John,

One of the best cameras ever made.

Wait till the summer and buy the Summicron. You will not regret the wait.

All the best,

Justin

Buy the Summicron later... you will never be happy unless you get the best, and that lens is just the best there is...

Hi Justin,
It's a long wait!The 35f2asph Summircon is a "must have" M lens, so will indeed buy that when funds permitting.
I do currently have a Mint Screw mount Red Dial 50f3.5 Elmar (on my IIIf), which I am reluctant in taking it out for us with an M adaptor on the M2! Is this old lens good on the M2? How does it compare with newer modern lenses?

Hi Justin,
It's a long wait!The 35f2asph Summircon is a "must have" M lens, so will indeed buy that when funds permitting.
I do currently have a Mint Screw mount Red Dial 50f3.5 Elmar (on my IIIf), which I am reluctant in taking it out for us with an M adaptor on the M2! Is this old lens good on the M2? How does it compare with newer modern lenses?

Congrats on your "new" M2 John. I've had mine for a few months now. I love it to death. I would suggest checking out KEH.com for a used 50mm lens. I bought my 50 'cron for $490 from them. It was listed as Bargain but looks like it spent it's life on a shelf. Don't be put off by older lenses. I've been looking at getting a 50/1.5 Summarit. Not the sharpest lens but I've seen them going for $200-250 several places. Remember most of our favorite "Leica" photos that are 30-40 years old now were made with the "less sharp" early lenses. Don't put of using it. As a matter of fact I wanted a 35 'cron, but bought the 50 instead. Now instead of a 35 I want a 90. Enjoy it.

Best Light
John

Back