DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What are your plans for the next 6 months?

I am not looking to buy any more digital cameras or lenses for them at present. My Leica SL, CL and M240 are all that I need and I have more lenses than I can use for them. The only modern lens I would like is if at some point, Leica bring out a Mark 2 55-135mm (84-207mm EFOV) TL lens with Optical Image Stabilisation. At the moment I use an 80-200/f4 Vario Elmar R as the long zoom on my SL and CL. I am currently trying to add a Leica 250FF Reporter to my collection of 15 classic film Leicas.

I am considering going retro... I found a Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED with adapters, and have started scanning some slides. We just came back from a trip where I went with some analogue cameras and a digital camera. It was very nice to slow down and not check and recheck that the picture had come out ok.... now I just have to wait until the film is developed (or I have developed the film) to scan it

Hi Marc,

very long time, yes! Good to see you again and that everything seems o.k.!

partly due to the photography business imploding

I heard that very often within the last 2-3 years everywhere. Times are changing, not just with photo-products. Same in the consulting business...

But with your current equipment, you can really relax more than others :D

Regarding Sony: Do you remember the discussion here about longterm investments in Sony products, when Kyocera quit, Sony bought Minolta and started cooperations with Zeiss?

Sometimes the gut feeling is the best indicator...

I Will stay with Fuji for weight and mirrorless, Hasselblad (analog and digital) for medium format and Nikon (analog) for full frame... Not only for the next 6 months but probably forever.

Hmm, I don't see a poll. I guess it was lost with Camera-Info?

I will use Nikon Z and Ricoh GR III mostly. Nikon Z for the indoor/low light photography and when I don't mind having a big camera and the GR III for general sightseeing.

My poor Olympus M43 is languishing. It's kind of a shame, but its low light results are lacking and when I travel, it still is a commitment to carry, unlike the GR III. In short, it's a good compromise, but when I have the best of either world, I just pick the best instead of compromising.

Well, let's see....
  1. Sell off at least 75% of my film gear
  2. Trade for an EM1, 5 or 10
  3. Sell/donate a bunch of digitals I don't use
  4. Photograph in places (towns, parks) I've never been to
  5. Spend more time writing and recording music than shooting

I've got two trips planned. A one week Rhine cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) followed by a week in Geneva seeing the grandkids and an ocean cruise in October. So I'm really looking forward to taking a ton of photos on those trips. I think I have my ideal (for now) camera/lens config with my Nikon Z7ii and 24-70 f/2.8 as my 'walking about' camera and my Nikon D500 with the 80-400 and the 500pf for longer shots. I'll probably also take my 50mm f/1.8, FTZ converter and 1.4 converter along for the ride as they don't take up much space/weight along with circular polariser and ND filters. Bean bag and tripod will travel in my checked luggage.

Back