DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What do you use 35mm vs digital

I also have the lab develop my films and scan them in 18 meg per image TIFF file. It costs me US$30 per roll. But it does worth every penny for the quality and time that I save.

I decided to get a ND as I want to have a digital solution for my Carl Zeiss Lenses. I started with the Sony DCS V1 with Zeiss lens. Great camera, great lens. But nothing compare to a real dSLR.

I still shoot films and scan them, mostly with the C645. I use the ND as Polaroid and shoot as back up. My N1 start collecting dust.

The scanned images from the C645 are incredible. The ND itself is a very capable camera. I am still learning how to squeeze every bit of the juice from it.

Everyone knows the pros and cons between 35mm and dSRL cameras. It really comes down to personal needs.

Albert.

Hope this thread is still fine for the discussion-

Albert - could you pls explain the advantages scanning in TIFF format? I can't find enough relevant information on this. Will it print out better than the JPEG format?

Daniel

Well said Jim.

Most people I know they save their JPEG image (if they shot in JPEG) into TIFF before they do any editing.

I suppose you can also save your image in PhotoShop format, but TIFF is pretty much a standand in the photo world. Jpeg is more suitable for email/web viewing.

Jim, Albert, Thanks a lot for the info. I believe I am on the right track now.

I use my digital for vacations and family get-togethers. My wife likes to be able to see what I have taken on the playback and decide whether or not she wants another shot! When I want professional photos and to challenge myself as a photographer, though, I use Leica.

Hi; I use the Digilux 2, and also the m6 and R7. Whilst I find the digilux is brilliant for static commercial shots,i use the R7 and m6 for landscape and people shots; also, i find the viewfinder on the digilux 2 to be very annoying- useless for any form of action, as it does not give a big enough image. For flowers and macro, the digilux is fine, although i don't use the monitor at all, apart from viewing shots. Again, i mainly use it on F11 at 100 asa, using autofocus. For really precise work, i prefer the R7- only my opinion, but i think this is one of the best SLRs available- not alll that impressed with the R8; hope this helps a little. And Vevia 50 is tops !

Hello, This is my first post to this site.
I recently purchased my first Leica, a M6TTL with a 50mm f2. I have a Contax G2 that I used for several years.
My introduction to digital was with an Olympus C50 which is a very good camera if not using flash (red eye) or wanting instant shutter response. The digital is OK for instant review shooting but my favourite camera now is the M6 with HP5 film which I develop myself and scan with a Minolta Scan Dual IV scanner.
I find with digital I would take lots of images and maybe not print any out but with film I might print out at least 5 to 10 A4 max. prints from a 36 exp. film.
Maybe when Leica bring out the new M7 digital with a full frame chip, I may be tempted but until then I will enjoy film. (the price probably will make my purchase a dream)

Back