DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What do you use 35mm vs digital

I’ve been reading the discussion on digital Ms with some interest.

The idea of a digital M camera is an appealing concept, but a digi M would in practice have none of the charm of useability of the M Leicas (IMHO). What would happen to the film rewind crank we all love so much? And why put a perfectly good CCD sensor in camera design that boasts all the features of 1940s technology. Do we use collodion wet-plates in our M Leicas?

Leica is correct their lenses are optimised for film. Without “dulling down†filtration they are almost useless for digital. For digital you also need telecentric lenses or small sensor size so that the light rays hit the CCD at the optimum angle. Not all M lenses are retrofocus (as is the case with SLRs) so the light hits the film plane at an angle. The circle of confusion size for the lens also needs to match the portion of the CCD array used to record full colour data. The future of digital image capture is with fiberoptics and not lens technology any way.

This stuff is highly technical and a reasonable debate is probably beyond the scope of a generalist forum such as this. Part of the problem is that there is so much rubbish published in popular magazines and web sites, which has only served to confuse the issues. That’s why Canon users babble on so much about “chromatic aberration†with the 1Ds and why Adobe have a fix for it the their new version of Photoshop! Can you imagine this forum discussing the problems of CA in Leica M lenses as recorded on a digital censor that resolves didly-squat. In that case I’d rather not see a digital M.

Apologies for the rant. However, Leica folk are passionate folk. That’s why our camera bags are full and our wallets empty.

Yes the Leica M is a sunning beautiful camera to use and look at, but Carbon prints along with many other contact printing methods were also very beautiful. It was 35mm camera and enlarging of negatives that helped to kill off these wonderful and charming photographic processes. Technology marches on and time will force the older generation into extinction, just has happened right throughout the history of photography. Until I’m made extinct, I will still be using my beloved Ms, preferably with film.

Best regards to all Craig Hoehne (it’s nice to be back)

Craig wrote:"Technology marches on and time will force the older generation into extinction, just has happened right throughout the history of photography. Until I’m made extinct, I will still be using my beloved Ms, preferably with film."

I'm with you Craig. I never did buy one of those digital wristwatches either..and somehow I've managed to survive. (anybody remember the first ones with the little red numbers that cost about $1,000?)
jeff in texas

Ok, just seen the pictures of the Epson digi M camera. very ugly camera but it does have the MP type "rewind crank". Nice touch.

I still stand by the above. My reseaches into digital cameras over the last year has taught me that it is not wise to fork out serious amounts of money until you have had a good go at using a digital camera. Read by all means but have a grain of salt handy.

Congrats to Derek Stanton right on the money!

very interesting

Craig Hoehne

I agree entirely with Craig and Jeff. The thing to do is, sometime before those last rolls of B&W film appear in the shops, before the final price hikes as demand outstrips supply, to buy as many rolls of bulk film as you can, as well as paper for printing. Keep them in the fridge and use them carefully. You can make up developer and fixer from the raw chemicals, including D-76 & Rodinal. Your grainy prints will still be more beautiful than pixellated ones.

Louis

I have been using film for more than 25 yrs. Two yrs ago, I switched 100% to digital and had loads of fun with it’s convenience. It is a wonderful media to use. It is economical to use as I no longer had to buy film or spend money in film processing & printing. I save money in selective printing only. Archiving of “digi neg†is a breeze using a PC and retrieval is fast.

However, I do have a problem with digital. For reasons above, I became trigger happy, knowing that I could delete the unwanted pictures. That led to a less thinking attitude, ending up with less care in pic composition, knowing that I can enhance my pics later using photoshop. Playing around with exposures to get the type of pic effect I like is difficult as I do not use a DSLR [price is too high]. Getting good pics using bounced flash is not consistent as it is difficult to control. I have missed several good shots as there is always a lag time in digi cameras before the shutter fires [unless you have a DSLR?].

I still use digital from time to time for fast shots in fun events etc but I could never get the same results I want using full aperture with my Summicron 50. I have gone back to shooting with film and enjoying it immensely! Perhaps when the real digi Leica M arrives which I still believe would be in a matter of time…… I would be willing to splurge on one!

I have just received my roll of colour negs back together in a CD. All pics were digitally scanned in JPEG and it was fast [all completed within two hrs with 6X4 prints]. The pics were good quality and so were the scans. In future, I will only request for neg development & scanned into CD. That way, I can work the rest on my PC at home & touch up before printing.

As I do not earn my living from photographs, why bother spending masses on a superb hi-end DSLR to match the performance of film based cameras?

Yes, that's exactly what I do. Develop and CD for EUR4, for hires and lowres scans, plus index print with one hour turnaround.

The lowres is fine for publishing on the internet, the hires for smaller prints and the negatives for larger prints.

Daniel

There is no such thing as a superb DSLR, even the really, really expensive ones have “issues†and aren't that crash hot when it comes to quality comparisons with film. Don't get me wrong digital capture is great stuff and very useful for many professional applications.

The main advantages of digital capture for a lot of people is that there are no film plus processing and scanning costs. I do a lot of my own scanning and it is a time consuming laborious process.

But digital capture comes at a price of its own. IMHO film combined with high quality scanning offers better quality imagery and greater working flexibility. Image quality is a premium to me so the additional expense of film etc is not a priority.

It sounds like you are enjoying your photography, great stuff!!

Craig

Back