DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Where are the Mac users

I am a Mac Studio Ultra and 16” MBP with M2 Max user — I only buy fully spec’d versions and lov the power of these tools. I waited and waited for a replacement to the trash can I bought in 2013, the Studio Ultra is more than enough’ when paired with large NAS/RAID and Nvme SSD working drives.

I started with a 48kB Apple II, upgraded it to a phenomenal 64kB!- largely for VisiCalc. Then the first Mac, and a second, and so on.Appreciated Jobs' concern for good design. Sad when Wingz packed in and Excel became a rental. Now trying to adapt to a new Mac mini and 32" screen: Do little post, mostly with Affinity.

I have been a Mac user since 1989 when my dad bought an SE/30 (we still have that thing, no idea if it will still boot though). I have experienced the brand's whole bumpy 90s ride including the moment when Microsoft actively helped to keep it afloat, and then their revival when the iMac became popular, and afterwards when they became really big with the iPhone.
I can't say I am still as enthusiastic about Apple as I used to be, with their ridiculous anti-repair stance and increasing hostility towards open source projects. It also doesn't help that my previous laptop broke due to a design flaw with the way the GPU was mounted, and then I spent an uncomfortable sum of money on a new MB Pro whose butterfly keyboard is also one huge notorious design flaw. If anything happens to this machine, I think I'll go for the cheapest Air for the simple things and Mac OS legacy I can't let go of, and set up a beefy dual boot Linux/Windows PC for all the heavy lifting (and the occasional game).

I prefer using a Mac, but use both platforms (mac/pc) since since circa 1982 - I remember liking the failed Apple III. I started using mac primarily for photographic pursuits around 2005 with an iMac + Adobe Design Suite (photoshop, illustrator, etc..) and years later using a 2011 iMac + the latest Adobe Suite. Out of all the computers that I've used in my life, the iMacs were the most problematic as well as my favorite computers to use; problems included HD failure, graphics failure, power supply failure, ram failure... all replaced (no cost) under the Apple Care - doubt I'll buy another one. Conversely all of the Macbooks that I've purchased (pro, air, and 'm' chip variants (used with Wacom Cintiq(s), have provided issue-free experiences so far. Interestingly the small 'early 2015 MacBook' (with awful butterfly keyboard; replaced multiple times) has been one of the most useful macs to me when I'm on the go! It's so small and slim. I still use it today.

My personal go-to mac is my 2019 era MacBook pro, 64mb ram, 1tb, 2.3 ghz / i9, 4 usb-c ports (thank goodness) which I commonly use with a no-frills, colour calibrated, HP 32" IPS monitor via usb-c. I'm eager to see the specifics on the upcoming Mac Pro.

Initially involved with writing, spreadsheets, mapping, and graphing activities, a personal Apple II was a great help. When my employer finally adopted IBM PC clones, I found a personal Macintosh far more useful, and more graphically oriented - and Apple's products and publications better designed. I was also surprised that Apple managed to enable AppleWorks/ClarisWorks to survive for 25 years as my most versatile go-to program - though I much preferred Excel (which Microsoft produced initially for the Mac, when Jazz bombed) though it was briefly eclipsed by WingZ (I now use Libre Office, as I dislike renting software that I now seldom use, and I've never got used to Numbers). Other than the failure of a keyboard, I've had no hardware problems, updating a series of desktops and laptops about every 3 to 6 years largely for faster operation or new features, and passing them on to family members. Currently using an M1 Mac mini, with 32" Benq screen, which suits my, now limited, needs for writing and photography.

Yaay...glad to see a Mac forum here and people showing up! I've had way too many Macs (maybe about 30 of them??) since my very first one in 1984....that was the 128K Mac! Wish I still had it for my "museum", but the oldest working one I have is my SE30 from 1989. Over the years I just kept upgrading, and I've had such a ridiculous number of Macs because in 1989 I started using them in a graphics and publishing business (which I did for 34 years) and needed to stay up to date. I've never bought a PC and at this point, I can say I never will. As long as I've used and tinkered with Macs, there's always more to learn, and more questions to ask. That's the great thing about the Mac community of users...someone usually has the answer I need!

Initially involved with writing, spreadsheets, mapping, and graphing activities, a personal Apple II was a great help. When my employer finally adopted IBM PC clones, I found a personal Macintosh far more useful, and more graphically oriented - and Apple's products and publications better designed. I was also surprised that Apple managed to enable AppleWorks/ClarisWorks to survive for 25 years as my most versatile go-to program - though I much preferred Excel (which Microsoft produced initially for the Mac, when Jazz bombed) though it was briefly eclipsed by WingZ (I now use Libre Office, as I dislike renting software that I now seldom use, and I've never got used to Numbers). Other than the failure of a keyboard, I've had no hardware problems, updating a series of desktops and laptops about every 3 to 6 years largely for faster operation or new features, and passing them on to family members. Currently using an M1 Mac mini, with 32" Benq screen, which suits my, now limited, needs for writing and photography.

I had an occasional need for Word and I had a couple of non-complex Excel spreadsheets. However, I'm not willing to pay a monthly fee for software I don't often use and which includes software I never use. So I taught myself to use Numbers which meets my needs and have used Pages a couple of times and that seems okay too.

My first Mac lasted me 5 years and my second lasted 10 years and still works (I have some legacy software on there that I still use). Loving my new M2 Mac. I did have a hardware problem (motherboard) on my old Mac and problems with the screen coating but they were fixed under AppleCare.

Double post

Shelton.

Back