DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Sigma at all

Initially, because it was cheap...

Having been disappointed with film photography, I didn't want to waste too much money if I was going to be just as useless with digital. The cheapest DSLR I could find on ebay was a Sigma SD10 with a 24-60 F2.8 lens. That was in 2007.
It was quite difficult to get good images, but I had no idea that this wasn't the same as any other camera. I found I couldn't use any ISO setting above 100 and that the Sigma Photo Pro software was pretty awful.
When I did get a good image, however, it was fantastic. The Foveon sensor is what set it apart and now I'm on my third X3 camera, the SD15 and I was fortunate enough to borrow a new SD1 recently and will obtain one when I can afford it.
I have Canon cameras too, now, but I will always have a Foveon camera in my gear and I recommend anyone who takes digital photography seriously to do the same. A used Sigma camera with a decent lens or two isn't expensive and for some photographic scenarios it is unsurpassed by any other make.

I realize that I'm resurrecting a moribund thread, but the Foveon is really what makes this camera. I have a friend who bought the first Sigma dSLR and used it with Zeiss (East German, post WWII) lenses, and his images were stunning. There are certainly some tradeoffs with the Foveon, but nothing that approaches the challenges of using Fuji Velvia film (speed!).

I have colleagues at work who shoot with high end Nikon dSLRs, and they chuckle under their breath when they see me toting a Sigma.

I agree. The comparison with Fuji Velvia came also to my mind. I use the SD15 with m42 adapter and the new Zeiss ZS lenses 35/2.0 and 50/1.4 which many users know in their ZF and ZK version...

Jeffery...look thru my Sigma pictures...with Zeiss ZF lens...you can buy a mount replacement from Luis...and shoot Nikon MF lenses on Sigma Bodies...the lenses...trully make the Sigma a beast to contend with...

L2.jpg

L8.jpg

Colors are awesome and clarity is clean and crisp....

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

I'm considering to buy the SD14 because of the Foveon X3 sensor and also because I currently have 5 AF Lenses I can use with this camera because I'm an SA5 user.

Also I think this outperforms the competition.

The only drawback is video noise as you go higher from ISO 100 onwards according to a review I read.

Marl
Greetings Marl
You have to shoot the Foveon like Slide Film I shoot my SD14 SD15 SD1M from 100-800 ISA I shoot my SDQ-H up to 3200 without issue
Good Luck
Roger J.

Back