DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

3 new Olympus DSLRs

Thanks Gilbert,
That looks to be a superb camera. I cannot wait to read some reviews. I hope that the price is the same in the UK as the estimated dollar price but we tend to get ripped off here price wise.
The one thing which has put me off Olympus DSLR's so far is the tiny viewfinder. According to the Olympus blurb, they may have cracked that problem. I would love to handle one.
I very much look forward to hearing more about it.
Best wishes,
John

I spoke to someone who was at the launch event last night and who has handled the camera - and who I have found to be utterly reliable - and he said that the camera has the best viewfinder of any DSLR he has seen since the inception of digital photography.

It really is - new processor; new autofocus; new metering; IS with built-in gyroscope! Live view. And what's reported to be amazing viewfinder.

E3 has a number of features and is a substantial camera indeed, weighing a little more than a Contax N1. 1.8lbs, 800g

Gilbert James (Gjames52) wrote on October 17:

' 2007 - 11:15 pm,E3 has a number of features and is a substantial camera indeed, weighing a little more than a Contax N1. 1.8lbs, 800g'

While I am intrigued by this camera and feel there is a lot of valuable innovation, where is the 4/3s promise of smaller, lighter, etc.? The OM culture is gone.

> The OM culture is recaptured in the E-4XX series only. I think many of us, me included, are shocked at the size and weight of the E-3, but to be fair, the E-1 was much bigger than I anticipated. However, the E-3 has a host of new technology onboard that addresses many E-1 criticisms such as slow AF and sluggish review performance. I'm going to give the whole thing a while to settle down and let prices find their own levels before I make any purchasing decisions. It seems Olympus have also overcome the small VF issue and from the information that's been posted it appears to be up amongst the leaders and that's no mean feat. >

I agree that the E-3 is very interesting. I can actually "put up" with a bigger body if the entire package is well balanced and allows it to be an extension of my vision. The viewfinder is a huge part of that for me. After one has worked extensively with the view through an OM (and yes, there are other cameras that were comparable, notable the recent Bessaflex bodies from Cosina had quite good VFs), it is hard to actually see with a tiny, dim patch of image. Not to mention a really good RF viewfinder, and the feel and balance of an RF in one's hand.

I am anxious to handle the E-3, though I suspect its capabilities will be revealed only to someone who really works with it for awhile.

I'm hoping that Olympus has hit a home run with the E-3. My comment about the "OM culture" being gone wasn't an indictment, just an observation. Another part of the culture is simplicity, and it doesn't seem that any DSLR will approach the simplicity of the OM series. Perhaps only the Epson R-D1 is close, and it's not an SLR.

> Perhaps the OM compactness is in smaller lenses than might have been if stabilisation was in them not the body?? The OM culture seems to live on in 1) Interesting innovation 2) not following the pack 3) probably being a year or few too late for anything but enthusiast interest. >

Back