DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Birmingham with K7

If an image is good, catches the attention of a viewer or tells a story, nobody cares about noise or other technical stuff. It is the art, the photographic eye we have to improve, not the sensor or AF.

We all love the images of HCB even today, although the technical image quality at that time was worse than i.e. a K7. And no AF.

The K7 has a superb sensor really. The print size is what matters to me and the 14.6 MP prints 18x12 very well. I have 100s and 100s of prints 18 inches by 12 inches. 100s.
I appreciate the sensor and live with its shortcomings very easily because I am never affected negatively especially these days. A K3iii is going to be a lot better though yes that is true.

Regards Dino26323

Hello if you are here to look at the photos I managed to find today out of a few 100 photos. K7 and Samyang 135mm F2 shot wide open. Hope you like something. Street Photos can look pretty drab to some people. I find them interesting for lots of reasons and hope you like something. All in our lovely city late in the evening.

IMGP6557-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/750 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 400

IMGP6564-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/500 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

IMGP6604-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/750 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

IMGP6741-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 135.0 mm
  • 1/20 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP6751-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 135.0 mm
  • 1/10 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 400

Regards to you from Dino26323

@Dino26323

You have used the K7 now for some.time. Can you tell something about the haptics compared to other DSLRs?

From the product images on the internet, it looks very large an bulky compared i.e. to a Nikon D600 or D7100. What is your impression with handling etc.

(I might move this later to a specific K7 thread)

Here the K7size for you.

View attachment 10606

@Dino26323

You have used the K7 now for some.time. Can you tell something about the haptics compared to other DSLRs?

From the product images on the internet, it looks very large an bulky compared i.e. to a Nikon D600 or D7100. What is your impression with handling etc.

(I might move this later to a specific K7 thread)

I will try again here is the K7 next to the K1ii.

Screenshot 2023-06-17 090435.jpg

I own the K1 as well.

Regards
Dino26323

...I just use the aperture ring away from the A setting as if it is a 1970s lens with NO A SETTING. Sorry for the long reply but it needs explaining why the metadata is missing...
Most of my lenses are K and M series without an A setting, and for the few A lenses I have, I always use the aperture ring and not the A. I keep track of the aperture used on my cell phone when out shooting, and I use a Lightroom plugin called Lenstagger to change the EXIF to show the lens name and aperture used. It adds a bit of hassle both while shooting and while editing, but it's fairly minor and it's helped me already as I look back through older shots to know what settings I used.

Most of my lenses are K and M series without an A setting, and for the few A lenses I have, I always use the aperture ring and not the A. I keep track of the aperture used on my cell phone when out shooting, and I use a Lightroom plugin called Lenstagger to change the EXIF to show the lens name and aperture used. It adds a bit of hassle both while shooting and while editing, but it's fairly minor and it's helped me already as I look back through older shots to know what settings I used.
Wow Jason . . that is fantastic that you do that. It is actually important in this age to show the settings as Dirk proved when he asked about mine.
That is amazing that you do that. I am really impressed.
Regards Dino26323

Inspite of your attempt to devaluate your own work I do not consider (most of) these pictures to be ordinary at all.
Thank you for this. TBH i actually like them always really but I am aware that many people do not rate Street Photos at all for various reasons and some of them have merit eg if you are patient then someone may eventually come into your shot that you have planned. Landscapes then it is difficult to hope sometimes that the light will appear again how you want it or with wildlife even a boring subject such as a squirrel may not even appear again in the right place for you. In some ways street photography is a piece of cake. There is no time to focus though sometimes and there is no time to frame as you'd like sometimes. These things can be in your favour though when you get lucky.
Thank you for your kind remarks but I assure you that no matter how good street photos are then you will come across people that genuinely think they are not at all very good and that they can easily do the same thing. EASILY THEY BELIEVE.
I have 1000s of Street Photos that I look through now and again but other people would find boring. I like the massive potential of street photos. The shots are definitely out there always especially in places like in Birmingham or London or Manchester or Liverpool. The shots are there to be captured and the buildings and light can be fantastic on normal just sunny days.

Kindest Regards Dino26323

Hello PENTUP if you see this. Just a quick note.

I will be over to the other site on your gallery this week. I miss all those wild creatures and the dangerous situations you find yourself in. I need some excitement this week. I will be back on your gallery counting views again. We need our galleries on this site. This site has a lot of advantages for something like your galleries. There is great potential for a more fluid gallery experience. Lets hope we get something better here.

Regards Dino26323

Back