DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Birmingham with K7

Really? The K7 is smaller and lighter than both those Nikon bodies. It also has fantastic ergonomics.

Oh, I was totally wrong! Sorry for this. I had the K1 in mind when looking at the images. The K1 is quite heavy and bulky for my personal preferences but I would love to have one day a Pentax fullframe DSLR to use my 2 Pentax lenses on it. Adapters are not always a joy to use. Sorry for this confusion.

I don't know anything about a K7, and agree the K1 is a bit "supersize" for my preference. I pretty much gave up waiting for a Pentax FF and went with the Nikon Z system just to see if I could adapt to mirrorless. Now I find I often prefer it to OVF.

I'd still be interested in buying a FF Pentax, if the body was smaller. There is no denying the beautiful images the K1 produces.

Back to the above images, like JCDoss, of the set, I"m attracted to image 2. I like reflection shots.

@Dino26323

You have used the K7 now for some.time. Can you tell something about the haptics compared to other DSLRs?

From the product images on the internet, it looks very large an bulky compared i.e. to a Nikon D600 or D7100. What is your impression with handling etc.

(I might move this later to a specific K7 thread)
The K7 is the most beautiful DSLR ever made ( but i am a bit biased .) It is certainly the most beautiful Pentax DSLR ever made ( and so the K5 K5ii also have the same beauty. )
Some people find them too small so these things are subjective. The Samsung sensor especially in the K7 the sensor is pretty much hated on DPRevirew forums for many yrs and got torn to pieces over noise issues dynamic range issues black read noise issues so I kind of have a soft spot for the K7 because she was unloved at least on Pentax SLR TALK by many threads and posts.

I :z04-herz: my two K7 cameras. Nice of you to take in interest in this pentax release that did not tick the boxes quite right for many EXPERTS !!!
The camera is kind of reborn these days because AI noise reduction does actually make it into a completely different camera to the one everyone hated but I hardly ever use a K7 above 800 iso and try my best to get the exposure right. It is old school. The noise at 800 iso looks fantastic turned into black and white ( at least on this screen I have ). I love moving around the images by hand at 100% in black and white. The grain is the best of the lot. A fine granular structure. I may be biased but I assure you I love my K7 shots in black and white from 800 iso. When I print them though this grain is made invisible. The magic can only be seen at 100% on a computer screen.
The focussing screen on the K7 is miles and miles better for me to manually focus lenses than my K10. It is night and day better. I have lots of cameras actually but the K7 is unique with that Samsung sensor holding it back. Holding it back ? It has never bothered me in fact I use the noise to make great black and white images and I have shot 10000s at night Street scenes because IBS works fantastic even in those days.

Kindest Regards Dino26323

Hello if you are looking at these. I have got another 5 from today so hope you like something here. I did ok because I had not shot too many and found 5 easily to post. Nothing OUTSTANDING SO SORRY and will try better tomorrow where I usually do a lot more shooting Fridays.

IMGP6329-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/750 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP6348-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/6000 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP6354-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

IMGP6392-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/1500 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

IMGP6429-1 copy.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-7
  • K or M Lens
  • 1/1500 sec
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 200

I will try harder tomorrow.

Regards Dino26323

Hello if you are looking at these. I have got another 5 from today so hope you like something here. I did ok because I had not shot too many and found 5 easily to post. Nothing OUTSTANDING SO SORRY and will try better tomorrow where I usually do a lot more shooting Fridays.

I will try harder tomorrow.

Regards Dino26323
These are all good mate. I like them.

I am on a smartphone right now and can not see all Exif data. Which lenses do you use for the images in this thread most of the time? If it is a zoom, which focal range do you use most?

The Samsung sensor especially in the K7 the sensor is pretty much hated on DPRevirew forums for many yrs and got torn to pieces over noise issues dynamic range issues black read noise issues

If an image is good, catches the attention of a viewer or tells a story, nobody cares about noise or other technical stuff. It is the art, the photographic eye we have to improve, not the sensor or AF.

We all love the images of HCB even today, although the technical image quality at that time was worse than i.e. a K7. And no AF.

"In any case, people think far too much about techniques and not enough about seeing."
--quote attributed to HCB

"the worst camera is better than the best photographer."
--quote attributed to Ansel Adams

"I just take pictures of what I see that attracts my attention."
--quote attributed to RBIV

I like them all too, but the roller skater wins. Nice job leaving everyone's feet in!

I am on a smartphone right now and can not see all Exif data. Which lenses do you use for the images in this thread most of the time? If it is a zoom, which focal range do you use most?
Sorry for the delay replying to this. Only just logged onto site. The lens currently is the Samyang 135mm F2 and I almost always use it wide open. I went through a stage using the 200mm plus 1.4 converter and those are all on the K5 ( much better sensor as the experts will say ).
It just so happens all of the K7 shots in this thread are the Samyang 135mm F2 so that makes it easy for you. I was writing it out for everyday but figured folks will be bored reading the same information. I guess that is wrong because they can always not read it whereas not writing it is a mistake sometimes. The Samyang is supposed to convey the shutter speed and aperture with Pentax cameras because it has an A setting. I have a lot of problems with the A setting so I just use the aperture ring away from the A setting as if it is a 1970s lens with NO A SETTING. Sorry for the long reply but it needs explaining why the metadata is missing. I tried to copies of the lens and both failed to work properly on the A SETTING. It has fantastic qualities though this Samyang that mean I am glad I bought it.

Regards Dino26323

Back