DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

G

What´s happened to this review ? Even though I own two G2s, I am always interested to see what other people think of this fine little camera.

The G2 is a brilliant little thing. I love it. For longer journeys I always have a Leica M6 and a G2 in my foto-bag and so I have a camera for every purpose: The M6 for composing with time and the G2 for the fast street situations. I was a Nikon addict for nearly 10 years but these two cameras changed my kind of taking pictures totally. The Zeiss lenses are beatiful, compared to the Leica stuff they are not as crisp but the colours are more shiny than with the Leica lenses which are very, very neutral. If anybody has more information and experience with the G2 I would be happy to read this.

Best wishes to all the new members and good luck with this wonderful Contax Page to Dirk.

Olaf

It is no doubt that the G2 is a great camera. Beautifully finished body with excellent lens. However, I am not ready to give up my Nikon F4 yet. The G2 is overly automated and does not allow much user input. The viewfinder could offer bit more info. Overall, G2 is well constructed, but don't give up your SLR yet.

The G2 is a marvelous camera. It has some of the same foibles that other rangefinders have: not a good choice for macro work or anything requiring long lenses. But if you're doing documentary photography or working primarily wide angle lenses it's an outstanding system.
It's the only camera I carry when I travel and it's never let me down.

Is there a G3 on the horizon? I would like to see a focus confirmation display in the viewfinder for those times when I wish to focus manually.

happy.gif

There will be definitely one, the question is just in which year....

Sooner or later they have to come with something new. This year is the anniversary of Contax and the Photokina in Cologne in September could be a good platform for surprises.

But I do know nothing which could be called a serious rumour...

dirk

Hi George,

nobody knows about a G3. On the contrary, Contax hasn't given us any enhancements to the G-Line after the Vario-Sonnar 35-70. Advertising is low. There are even rumors they will discontinue Hologon 16mm and perhaps Biogon 21mm (as for me I don't believe that in both cases). However, it seems they have conventrated on entering the digital and AF-world with the SLR-lineup.

BTW: I hope for a G3 as a G2 with digital back plus better flash control (at least separate flash exposure compensation).

Till

If we're on the subject of G3s here's what I want:

SPOT METER

If I had that, I'd be one of the happiest photogs in the world. I'm a G1 owner and for photographing concerts, center-weighted metering just doesn't cut it. Make the "focus spot" in the viewfinder the metering area. Of course, the metering area should be a circle, not a rectangle like the focus spot.

LONGER LENSES

Maybe a 135mm? Leica people have them and I'm jealous. The newest/latest/greatest AF technology should be able to focus a lens this long.

Bob Kessler

Thank you for your responses. I hope Contax/Kyocera have not forgotten the G series after the continuing debacle with the full size sensor DSLR.

George

Hi Bob,

I agree for the spot meter. I cannot understand why they didn't put it in the G2 already. Even 100$ Olympus mju-2 / Stylus Epic is featuring a spot meter.

As for me, anything longer than 90mm is not so important. Before I switched to the G-system I thought that the limited telephoto range would be a shortcoming. But now I see me mostly using Planar 45 and Biogon 28, the Sonnar just 5-10%. Maybe RF changed my view.

Well, shooting live gigs might be another thing.

Till

Back