DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Peter and Vu,
Thank you for your quick and informative responses. I just purchased the 21mm lens for the G2 and shot a roll yesterday. Before I make a decision to go with a wider lens I want to see how the the 21mm meets my needs. However, if I do decide to get a 15mm or 16mm, I will value your input. While researching the Bessa-L,l learned several unusual things about the Bessa-L. First it has no viewfinder; not that one is needed because a supplemental viewfinder comes with the 15mm lens that fits in the accessory holder. Second, the camera is about 12 oz (wow).

Thank you

Howard

Howard,
The FOD of the 15 mm is so deep that in most of the instances you donot need to focus. Set the focus at about 1.5 to 2 M and you can almost point and shoot.
Some of the pictures from my trip by the 15 mm are just great. However, it still cannot beat the G2 lenses.
Peter

> > > > The sense of sharpness is related to the magnification ratio, when blow the > picture large enough then certainly you will find out even 14mm or 13mm lens > still needs good focus, of course it is also base on the distance between the > object and the film plane. I have a Voitlander 12mm lens and sometimes even > close down to f11 still cannot get enough depth. > Brgds/kaisern > >

I agree that for very high quality of photography, it is always desirable to focus accurately. However, both the 15mm and 12mm lenses are not coupled with the rangefinder. For travelling photography and taking photos of large buildings, setting the aparture to f8 and focus at 2m would give FOD between 0.7M to infinitely, which is more than adequate for my purpose.
As I have mentioned that it is for most of the instances and can almost .... . Not absolutely unnecessary to focus.
Peter

1. Any news about a G3 in the meantime?
2. Is it true, that Nikon took over or plans to take over the G-Division from Kyocera?

I have recently purchased a second hand G2 with the 45mm f/2 lens. I have put one roll through it and all worked perfectly. I later removed the lens and remounted it without difficulty but the shutter will no longer fire with the lens mounted. The shutter will fire OK with the lens removed and all looks well with the body. The lens seems to mount OK - aligning the red dots and then locking into position with a click. The camera seems to focus OK although there are a few rather lengthy wurrings from time to time and the shutter refuses to fire. Any idea what the problem might be?

Peter

Peter, I bought a used G2 and had the same problem. I did the following: 1) Took the lens off, 2) cleaned the lens and body contact surfaces and 3) reinstalled the lens by holding the circular ring on the lens while turning the lens clockwise until it clicked (the manual says use only this ring for installing the lens). I do not know if this solved the problem or I had just not installed it correctly the first time but the problem went away. The contact surfaces were indeed dirty. Hope this helps if you haven't already tried it. Harbert

I had replyed to your first message when it was in the G1 thread. I have another idea that the G2 is set to one of the autofocus modes and for whatever reason, the lens is not focusing--i.e.-lens cap may be on. I don't have the manual in front of me, but it seems I recall that it won't release the shutter unless it is happy with the focus. I may be wrong,and I am sure someone will let me know. Perhaps my first thought, under the G1 thread was right after all.

Ron Walton

Does anyone have any SPECIFIC info about any G3 coming out this year? Or is it like the Cubs, "Wait till next year"?

You are early !!! At least 1 week.
Photokina is next week
but i have no hope for any new info this year.
G.

Back