DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G2 general questions

I have a dial up connection. I downloaded the manual while I was eating dinner. It's a B&W copy. Last year, when I was looking for one, Kyocera did not offer this. I ordered one and they sent me three. The cost was 14 bucks. I purchased my G2 used. I really didn't need or want a genuine manual. The download, if available, would have been fine.

Albert,

Thanks for the tip; worked like a charm!

Now, here's a thought for the tech wizards out there. Could the .pdfs be uploaded to a PDA for field reference (along w/ DOF charts, hyperfocal distance lists, etc.)?

Best,

Rick

Rick,

You can transfer/convert from a PC to a PDA (Palm OS or MS-Pocket PC) almost every type of document or image (ex.: .pdf's, Hyperfocal.xls or .jpg's files).

I have a Palm, the Tungsten C model, and I'm astonished by the capacity and usefulness of such a small piece of hardware.

Best, Carlos

Thanks Carlos. I've been collecting excuses for buying a nice PDA, and this is a really good one! My wife has an iPAQ which I'm ashamed to say I covet to an irrational degree (but have no "real" need for, unlike she).

A portable field reference library would be very handy.

Best regards,

Rick

Sorry to spoil the party. I have just downloaded and installed Adobe Reader for Palm in my PDA and then done the conversion and hot-sync load for the G2 manual. Regret to advise on my Handspring Treo 600 the manual is next to unreadable and I have deleted it. It might work better on pocket PC's, as I think they generally have larger and higher definition screens. Wilson

>>I don't understand the focusing system. Is it true that the viewfinder does not show the image in or out of focus, and you have to rely on the distance scale on the LCD readout on top of the camera? Can someone explain briefly how the hell this works? Isn't not being able to confirm focus visually a rather large disadvantage?<<

Doug:
In auto focus mode the distance scale is shown in the viewfinder, e.g., 45 mm lens shows:
0.5, 0.7, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, Inf (meters)
If you have locked focus on something shown in the focus frame, an indicator will either be under one of the numbers in the scale or between two of them.
I found it relatively easy to tell if I had focused on what I had intended, and my first roll thru the camera had everything focused the way I had wanted.
Rangefinders can't show the focus plane in the viewfinder because the lens is not included in the path, as it is with an SLR.
In manual focus mode the distance is shown in the display on top of the camera. However, I wouldn't buy the G2 if manual focus was what I wanted to do.
I spent 45 min to an hour testing the focus system and most of the other functions in the camera store before I decided to buy. If you can rent one, that's even better.
Hope this helps.

Back