DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G2 general questions

Greetings,

I did indeed put my lens on a friend's G2 and there was no problem. He didn't have a 28 for me to try on my camera.

We just had the cameras shipped to Detroit. They won't honour rebates etc to Canadians. Must have been something we said :)

Paul

Hi Paul,

> I did indeed put my lens on a friend's G2 and there was no problem. He > didn't have a 28 for me to try on my camera.

I just checked the focus by turning the slotted focus connection on the lense with a screwdriver, and it is indeed stiff at the end of travel...so I'm going to return it to the seller, hopefully without any problem, and simply get another one. How unfortunate. It seems like a very nice lense.

Regards,

Austin

greetings,

I'll have to check mine out when I get time. I actually had never thought of doing that. Thanks for the tip.

Paul

> Hi, > I'm planning on buying a G2 + 28/2.8 + 90/2.8 for use as a travel system, for a trip I plan to take next spring. For either of these lenses, are there any issues with vignetting when using the Contax metal hoods and Contax UV filters together, or separately? I would just assume have hood and UV on both lenses all the time, if there are no issues.

Also, I found a used 90/2.8 for $250 (condition is 9+). Would this lens most likely be good as new in terms of reliability, given the 9+ rating?

Thanks, Doug

Doug,
I have the 90mm and used to have 28mm, but sold it because I have the 35mm and prefer it. The 35mm stays on my camera 90% of the time. Anyways, About your questions with hoods and filters I have not had any of problems you ask about. The one thing I do not like about the hoods is that you can see them in the bottom right hand corner of the viewfinder...but this does not affect the image. As for the 90mm for $250.00 in 9+ condition, this sounds a bit high to me. I got one from Jacks camera in 9+ with hood for 190 shipped. I have bought alot of other things from them so I got a discount...but anyways you should be able to get it cheaper than that from them....Look them up at www.jackscamera.com really friendly and like to help you out...dont be afraid to ask for a deal.

Best of luck,
Colin thomas

I myself like having the 28, 45 and the 90. The 45 is th step between the 28 and the 90. Notice how 45 is almost 1.75x the focal length of the 28? The 35 is just too close to a 28 for me to consider purchasing. If I had the 35 from the get go, I would think the same of the 28.

As far as price goes, I myself own the black version. So deals are not as common as for titanium. Contax isn't even offering a rebate for any of the black items any more. I got my three lens set about 9 months ago and recieved a $150 rebate. That's nothing compared to what they are offering now on new purchases. Maybe you would be better off going new?

Are the rebates only offered in the USA? I haven't seen any mention of them in the UK.
John

> Doug Pearl asked: are there any issues with vignetting when using the > Contax metal hoods and Contax UV filters together, or separately?

Answer:

I did some tests last spring and this is what I found. The biggest problem with vinetting is w the wide angle lens. Then f/# plays a role too. See the chart. ------------------------------------------------------ This is imperial data observed from Zeiss lenses mounted on a Contax G2 35mm camera. The issue is vignetting when using more than one filter on a lens. Ex&le, 3 filters

Lens No. filters/ size results

90mm 3 46mm filters okay all f/#s

45mm 3 46mm filters okay all f/#s

35mm 3 46mm filters okay f/2 through f/5.6 2 46mm filters okay all f/#s

28mm 3 46mm filters no f/#s okay 2 46mm filters okay all f/#s 3 55mm filters okay all f/#s

21mm 3 55mm filters no f/#s okay 2 55mm filters okay f/2 to f/11 1 55mm filter okay f/2 to f/16

April 15, 2003 djv

Can anyone remind me where I can download a copy of G2 manual, as I have had to leave my original behind in my flooded house in France last week (23cm of rain in 48 hours). Going on holiday to USA and know if I don't have a copy of the manual, Murphy's law will dictate there will be something I need to look up.

Back