DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Manual Focussing Screens

Nice work boys, of course us folks back east dont have that type of grand landscape, so I've focused on my own grand scape "Cape Cod" for the last few years.

41461.jpg

HELP!

I finally got hold of an Ee-s focussing screen, and although it's like someone turned the lights down, it is definitely more precise.

However, strangely it is not accurate.
Whilst the Ee-a screen focusses exactly as shown in the viewfinder, the Ee-s screen is consistently focussing behind the sharp point in the viewfinder.

The first shot is with the Ee-a and the second with the Ee-s. Both were focussed on the Extra! Extra! Extra! line.
I have swapped screen many times and the results are always the same. Any suggestions?
Is it possible for a screen to have a manufacturing defect?
I'm stumped.

41465.jpg

41466.jpg

Hi Dermot.
That certainly looks spot-on, thanks.
I've called the Canon helpline and they just said to get it replaced as there is probably some manufacturing defect.
I suppose the tolerances are quite small, and even a tiny bit of molding that's not right could put it out by enough to cause an error.

The shop have said they'll send a replacement today, so hopefully that one will be right. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Guys, did you all change the Custom Function OO when you changed your focusing screen? I don't think this would make any difference to the focusing but I believe it will correct any exposure errors with the wrong screen. Each time you change the focusing screen, Canon recommends that you change Custom Function 00.

With regards to exposure deviations with different screens, I believe it often arises from the darkening of the central portion of the screen with the microprism or split-image when using stop-down metering. I use a Brightscreen microprism, and noticed that after f/4 or so my readings jumped almost 2 f-stops over exposed.

With the 1DsII (and maybe with the 5D?) you can sync the spot reading area to the autofocus zone using custom function 13, and that's what I did, since I use the spot meter mode all the time. Now I set my normal focus zone so my the reading zone is below the center, so it's not affected by the split image / microprism area. Also I can quickly move the spot around when using a tripod, which is great. So, I don't use autofocus but I can certainly make use of this great autofocus-related feature!

This is where the Katz Eye Optics' "Plus" focusing screens may come into it's own, as the darkening or black-out problem of the split-image center does not occur until about f11 or so. More info here:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/KEPlus.htm

No screens for 5D available as yet, but I understand they working on it and should be ready maybe in a few weeks.

I received the replacement Ee-s screen today, and it is exactly the same as the first one, focussing slightly behind the point shown in the viewfinder.

I really don't understand it. I've tried it with the 85mm f1.2, 100mm f2.8 Makro and 135mm f2, all wide open and all give the same results, focussing about 3-4cm behind at around 1.5m.

If it were the same with original screen then that would be easier to understand, but the original screen when replaced is spot on every time.

Well I suppose I'll just have to stick with the Ee-a screen until the Katzeye becomes available and then try that.
It just seems strange that no-one else has experienced this problem.

Marc, if you're reading this, have you tried your 85mm f1.2 wide open at its closest focus point?

Matt, so sorry you are having difficulty. I put the 85/1.2 on the 5D and walked down to shoot something hand held just by window light. Took 5 shots of the same subject at the 85/1.2 closest focussing distance. All 5 were dead on the money. here's one where I focussed on the type closest to me ...

41474.jpg

Back