DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Manual Focussing Screens

Then I reversed the props and focussed on the candle wick ...

41477.jpg

The screen is amazing, and it has the further advantage of being able to focus on off center subjects AND there's no black-out you get with micro-prisms when you stop down or are using a longer lens.

Since you have tried 2 screens, then the culprit could be your adapter. Further suspicion of this is that when you mount Canon lenses on the camera with the regular screen all is well. Now, were I you, I'd try the new screen but use a fast Canon lens that needs no adapter.

Here's the adapter I use with the 85/1.2 ... also shot with the 5D and Zeiss 60 macro focussing on the red dot ... sharp as a tack ... love this screen !!!!

41483.jpg

Note: If you can't achieve focus, that may be why this screen doesn't seem to pop for you. I've had a few 5D photographers look through the viewfinder and they could immediately see a difference. I doubt Canon would've bothered if it wasn't any different.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do those shots Marc, there's certainly no arguing with the accuracy of focus there.

I have tried this afternoon with an alternative adapter and results are the same. I have also tried both screens with a Canon 300mm f2.8 with and without 2x extender, and the 70-200mm f2.8 (manually focussing) and the focus on the screen is precise, as are the photos.

It's not that I can't see a precise point of focus in the viewfinder, I can, and I can see that it is much more precise and narrow than the standard screen. It's just that the final photo is not focussed where the viewfinder indicates, it's always slightly behind like the ex&le on the Canon box above.

Theoretically the screen should be the exact same distance from the lens as the sensor is, so if the object is focussed on the screen it's focussed on the sensor. This is the case with Ee-a with all lenses, and with the Ee-s with the canon lenses, it's just the Zeiss/Ee-s combination that's out.

I have another adapter on the way to me from DVD Technik, so I'll try that when it arrives. In the meantime I suppose it's just lucky that I seem to be able to focus pretty accurately with the standard screen. I'll keep racking my brains though, I hate to be intellectually defeated by an inanimate object!

Well Matt, I wanted to make double sure myself.

I have to admit, it's got me baffled also. Are all Zeiss lenses out of focus?

I've tested the 85/1.2, 100/2.8 makro and 135/2 (as they're the ones with the smallest DOF), and they are all out by the same margin.

It's only really noticeable at very close distances wide open, where of course the DOF is tiny, but it still doesn't make sense that it appears focussed in the viewfinder.
If both screens were the same then I would say maybe it was a fault with the screen holder, but the standard screen is fine!
It just shouldn't be technically possible.

Maybe I'll try tomorrow in good light with the 100-300 and 70-210, and see what they produce at maximum focal length and minimum focus.

Every theory I come up with is contradicted by the fact that the standard screen works perfectly with all lenses, and the canon lenses work perfectly with the ee-s screen.

I have never used anything but Canon lenses on my canon cameras, but I would like to get the 21mm Ziess lens. Do I need any special adaptors and is the lens you all are talking about, the Ziess 21 mm f2.8 Biogon T ZM with a 46mm front diameter?

Yes, you need a Contax to EOS adapter, and no, unfortunately it is not the 21mm Biogon but the 21mm Distagon, which in excellent condition should run you upwards of $2500 if you're lucky to find one. Keep an eye on the Fred Miranda Buy/Sell forum or eBay.

Thank you for the info. I heard that Canon is suppose to be releasing a series of wide angle lenses this Feb., but I read it on a chat room so who knows if it is true. I am just not happy with the wides they have right now.

Back