DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

N to Eos adapter is it possible

I believe the 24-85mm, 70-300mm, 17-35mm, 85mm, and 50mm use the ring USM AF mechanism very similar to the Canon USM, only less power and therefore slightly slower.

The rest of the N lenses like the 28-80, 70-200, and 100 macro use the AFD micromotor. AF speed on the 70-200mm and 28-80 is not too bad despite the AFD motor.

If Zeiss would only make lenses for the Canon EF mount, or if Contax ever made a comeback with a new 12-14 megapixel digital SLR - ND Mk II, we would not have to spend this much on these fine lenses.

Also got to wonder if Leica will ever go AF on their lenses. Now that would even out the playing field a bit.... even though Zeiss would probably still be the preferred glass for most.

And how about a C/Y CZ 135 2.8 in an N Mount?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230131875824

473720.jpg

I have asked the seller about infinity focussing and he says it is perfect. I thought that you wouldn't get it with C/Y lenses and the N mount.

It would be great to be able to use other C/Y glass with my N1.

So what do you think, fact or fiction?

Paul

paul matthews (Nickser) wrote on May 19:

' 2007 - 9:40 pm,It would be great to be able to use other C/Y glass with my N1. '

Fiction.

If it would have been possible to adapt the old C/Y lenses with an adapter, I am sure that Kyocera would have offered it.

I remember that Zeiss told me at that time that for specific technical reason this adaption would not be possible.

But if you buy it and pay with paypal, you are insured and can get your money back if it turns out that the seller is lying...(AFAIK)

Hi Dirk,

I too think it is fiction as I was assured that the film plane to lens mount distances were the over riding reason that it could not be done. I won't be bidding on it but I wanted to show people the item.

Paul

DJ - Did any of the other lenses come back yet - I sent a 70-300 to be remounted and I'm thinking about the 17-35, 24-85 and the 85.

Foolishly I sold the 50mm and 24-85 too cheap.

Still have an extra 70-300 if anyone's interested. And if I do the rest of the conversion that will leave 2 MINT N1 bodies (very cheap).

KP

Kenny, I shipped them out on the 5th and I'm still waiting for them to get to Coneus, nevermind getting back here
sad.gif
... I was getting paranoid, but according the USPS info on the customs declaration doc # it arrived in Canada on June 10 late evening, so I'm guessing it's still wending its way, but should be almost there.

"Does any one know why the 17-35 and the 24-85 are so large in diameter compared to other lenses of similar specifications?
Thay sure look impressive and perform brilliantly but they give me a sore neck! "

Zeiss and Leica tries to make the lens as heavy as posssible in order to make your neck more sore. I am just kidding.

I agree. Zeiss N17-35 is very much heavier than the Canon EF16-35. It has a much bigger filter ring too. One reason is for the preservation of corner illuminance. I am not a user of these lenses, I would believe the Zeiss one has brighter corners than the Canon.

In the history of Zeiss lens evolution, Zeiss tends to make the lenses much bigger than the other brands. one good ex&le is the C-Y 21 2.8. It is twice the size of the Nikon, Canon and Minolta counterparts. The increase in the number of lens elements make the lens better. This is why Zeiss NF 25 2.8 is better than C-Y 25 2.8.

> My impression, reading lens review sites, is that the weakness in the Canon line tends to be at the wide angle. I have the 24-105 f4 & the 16-35 f2.8 and find them impressive, but I am not really qualified to judge the precise issues involved. What are other's experience or comments? Stan

I sent my 17-35, 24-85, and 70-300 N series lenses to Conurus on about the 29th of May, had a hiccup with Canadian customs but they finally got to Bo-Ming on June 11. I am very anxious to get these onto my Canon 5D.
I am interested to see the reaction of our members as to these converted lenses. Of course, I am somewhat interested to my see my own reaction.
Cheers,
Jack

Well, curse you, Jack, no wonder this is taking so long! You could have had the decency to wait for my lenses to get done before sending yours in
biggrin.gif

Back