DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Project 52 for 2024

18/52: This is a stitched image (7 shots, portrait orientation @ 120mm using the 24-120 lens) looking across Lake Washington from the East Portal viewpoint (I-90 Mount Baker Tunnel). When I have a business meeting downtown, I often "take the back road" on my way home... and go for a drive though the old neighborhood where I lived for many years. You can see the Bellevue central business district across the lake and the I-90 floating bridges leading to Mercer Island are on the right. I liked the clouds... so I cropped quite a bit off the bottom to remove some clutter and emphasize the sky, but unfortunately some of the clouds are a little over-exposed. At the base of the clouds in the distance you can see the foothills of the Cascade mountain range. It was a nice spring day... and I needed to capture an image for Project 52! :)

mt-baker-portal-small by J.E. Frantzen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Awesome! What would you think of removing the tops of pine trees (bottom left)?

I agree (the trees)... a slight distraction. It would be nicer if they were not there. But cloning water is a fraught proposition (my experience). And living here... I have indeed cloned (tried to clone) a lot of water! I am a detail person, so at full size it is not pleasant to "see" the result. But at smaller size, it would probably be fine as the nuances (and mismatched patterns) wouldn't be evident.

Week 19
810_7501 1.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/18
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 64

Last edited:
Very nice and very creative! Great lighting. Good eye and framing. Also... 135mm... plus the added DOF @ f/18. Well done! I am fond of "tele-macros" like this. I'm assuming this was taken at night? The covers we have around here are nowhere near as artistic.

Very nice and very creative! Great lighting. Good eye and framing. Also... 135mm... plus the added DOF @ f/18. Well done! I am fond of "tele-macros" like this. I'm assuming this was taken at night? The covers we have around here are nowhere near as artistic.
Thank you very much for your kind comment. This old manhole cover was taken mid-morning. The sun was not too high yet, so the low-angled light leaves much of what we see in shadow. Yet this is where we discover that this is a color photo.

19/52: I have taken some recent pictures of flowers in the yard (rhododendrons) and might possibly post them in a separate thread (?) -- but these lilies inside the house looked nice. So, I took a photo for the Project. Not very creative (compared to the manhole cover) but this is what I have at the moment!

lily-2842-small.jpg

Week 20

This photo was taken in the Oval Room of the Richelieu site, located in the former palace of Cardinal Mazarin, the historic birthplace of the Bibliothèque nationale de France.

810_7553 1.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Nikon F)
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/25 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 160

That's REALLY COOL. A library -- yes indeed! At 1/25 sec. - did you hand-hold this, or did you use a tripod? Maybe you found a table or railing to rest the camera on? Great exposure. Hopefully the sound of the camera shutter did not disturb the peace. :)

That's REALLY COOL. A library -- yes indeed! At 1/25 sec. - did you hand-hold this, or did you use a tripod? Maybe you found a table or railing to rest the camera on? Great exposure. Hopefully the sound of the camera shutter did not disturb the peace. :)
Thank you. My camera was hand-held and its lens stabilized. Everybody was kind enough to pretend I was making no more noise that the phones used by most of the other photographers.

Back