DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Public market - permission vs. candid

Personally I don’t do much asking because I want to capture something as natural as possible. Street portraiture is fine but I don’t really shoot with the proper gear to make my subjects look as good as they should.
In my opinion, that changed drastically with digital. When I did film, the subjects in the market or the workshop would alter their behavior, their posture, their appearance for THE photo. As the photographer, not a professional, I was limited to the number of shots I could take. Now, with digital, I can click away until the subject gets bored and relaxes and returns to focusing on work. I can also show them what I have taken when I've got a shot I like and that often pleases them. I have also returned and given the subject prints of the photo. This is especially worthwhile if their children was in the photo.

I used to take photos of people at a hospice. Family members would come to me and say, "Grandmother is dying and we have to photos," or more emotional, "My grandson is dying and we have to photos." They want photos of those dying.

It helps, in my opinion, if the photographer is part of society and not a voyeur.

IMG_20200129_175033.jpg

DSCF2380.jpg

20230411_115825.jpg

Beginning to get used to "streets" in color. Really like the "atmosphere" you captured in the market image.

I'm much like Logan3-1639 in my approach. I have always felt uncomfortable approaching strangers and asking for permission to take their photo, but I'm also uncomfortable in trying a stealth approach. As a result I don't take many photos of people I don't know. I will, however, take photos of people in small groups like on a birdwalk I'm participating in or other photographers taking photos.

But I'm getting better at just asking others and it has paid off for me. I've been going to one of the local Day of the Dead festivals and asking some folks fist and usually they are quite happy to pose. Here's an example.

Day of the Dead Dancers by Richard Ditch, on Flickr

I've also had a couple good experiences when photographing dogs in cars (I know, a strange but rewarding subject). I always have a camera with me driving around and that has paid off at some traffic lights like this

dog in car by Richard Ditch, on Flickr

dogs in Corvette by Richard Ditch, on Flickr

Woof ! Dogs in cars. Great, never thought of that.
Thanks!

This theme started for me when I saw a dog in parked car waiting for someone to come back from a convenience store, and since then I've found a number of other dogs waiting in cars. Then ones in cars in traffic are less frequent and harder to get as we both must be stopped at a traffic light and in proper lanes. For the two posted above I had just enough time to speak to the people and they were happy to engage. The dogs are the obvious subject here but I think the people's expressions add a lot to the shots.

I understand the desire to capture people as authentically and naturally as possible. My favorite kind of photography is candids of people, who are either unaware I'm photographing them, or they just don't care. When I started shooting people on the street, I always shot in stealth mode, because I didn't want them to pose. I don't like posing people.

Another part of the equation, for me, is that I'm uncomfortable and nervous about asking people I don't know if it's okay to photograph them. It's entirely possible they'll reject my proposal, and they might be annoyed or think I'm some kind of weirdo. That's another part of the reason I shot mostly candids of people on the street: I didn't have to interact with them.

But over time, I became increasingly aware that I was violating their privacy. And I decided to stretch my own boundaries, push the envelope, so to speak, by approaching people. There are scenarios where people are doing something that is interesting or fascinating, and if I approach them, I'll destroy the authenticity or spontaneity of their behavior. In that case, I might still shoot a candid. But now, 90% of the time, when I spot something interesting in a person's appearance or behavior or energy, I'll approach them and engage. I explain, briefly, why I want to shoot a photo of them, and I can usually find something flattering to say about what I'm observing, such as, you have an interesting/cool/unique look, or energy, and I'd like to photograph you, if that's okay.

I'm always nervous when I solicit a street portrait, but I've met some interesting people using this approach, and, more often than not, they seem pleased that I took an interest. Most of the time, I ask them if it's okay to share their picture in a public forum, like Flickr, or Instagram, and they want to see the image after I post it. I have a business card I give them that has links to my website and Instagram, and they can look me up on Flickr, if they're so inclined.

Flickr has a group called "100 Strangers," where you approach a stranger on the street, have an interaction with them, photograph them, and post the image, along with a description of your interaction, in the group. I got into this for awhile, and I've used the same format on my blog. It's both scary and fun, and again, I've met some interesting people and heard interesting stories. Here's a link to my 100 Strangers album on Flickr.

And here's a link to my Instagram account.
For the most part, or perhaps nearly entirely, I share your sentiments about shooting the streets.

In my case though street candids suit my disposition and style, so I prefer it to the more direct method of engaging people. In addition, I’m not the type who really wants to stay rooted in any one location or spot for too long. Like flowing water I want to keep moving. So I suppose you could say that I’m more like a hunter or gatherer while others are more like farmers. Either is fine, of course, as they both can yield desired results.

I suppose it depends on the law of the country you are in, some are very relaxed others very much not so

Yes, in Germany very difficult.

In Japan there is no law that explicitly makes public photography against the law.

You are living in Japan? Lucky man.

I was a few years ago for a short trip in Kyoto. Very nice. I am an Asia fan. Love to travel there. A lot nicer than Germany. Not just the weather also the different culture.

The same here in the UK, in a public place you are fair game but caution is always advisable.

That is at least something.

I’ve never had issues doing street photography in multiple countries…UK, Germany, France, USA, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, etc. All fair game

Yes, in Germany very difficult.

You are living in Japan? Lucky man.

I was a few years ago for a short trip in Kyoto. Very nice. I am an Asia fan. Love to travel there. A lot nicer than Germany. Not just the weather also the different culture.

That is at least something.
I don’t know about German law with regards to public photography but, yes, in Japan it’s a little more relaxed. It’s not merely about abiding by the law, however. I believe a photographer shouldn’t post an image of a person that degrades or devalues his/her basic humanity, e.g., a homeless person.

Thanks!

This theme started for me when I saw a dog in parked car waiting for someone to come back from a convenience store, and since then I've found a number of other dogs waiting in cars. Then ones in cars in traffic are less frequent and harder to get as we both must be stopped at a traffic light and in proper lanes. For the two posted above I had just enough time to speak to the people and they were happy to engage. The dogs are the obvious subject here but I think the people's expressions add a lot to the shots.
Great photos Rich, but if you did that where I live, and the cops saw you, it would be a $1000 fine and loss of x4 points on your driver’s licence… for using a device (any kind of device) in your hands whilst in control of a motor vehicle.

Back