DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax T3

> I would agree that compared to the T2, the lens system on the T3 does seem to more deliberately "lock" into place both when the camera is > switched on and when the lens moves into focus.

I would not describe the lens movement as a more deliberate "lock". The T3 simply feels like it has much looser, less refined mechanical gearing than the T2, GR1, Ti35... Some would say if it doesn't effect picture quality who cares. To some degree, I agree; however, with these high end P&Ss I also expect a tight and solid camera. Paradoxically, considering the price, the T3 feels a tad cheap.

Does anybody know where I can get a piece of the original black leather velcro case that came with the T3? I would like to obtain one as my T3 70 Years Anniversary Edition did not come with it.

I have tried the local retail shops, the importer cum marketing agent and even searched the internet, but to no avail. It seems to me that the only alternative case that is readily available is the semi hard case (product code cc-82). I was able to find the Tix case (product code cc-66) on sale from two shops after searching the internet, but gave up after I did not get any reply from my email queries.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gary Leong

Contax does not specify an original T3 pouch in their parts list and there is no Part # for it.
Therefore you can not buy it. At least for now.
I'm using the pouch fot CONTAX Tix (CC-66). It is perfect for T3. This pouch fits my T3 with the data back. It is much softer than the one T3 comes with.

This past June I took the T3 and the Ricoh GR21 to my sister's wedding in Mexico, and was very impressed with the quality photos from both cameras. I also made the mistake of bringing an APS Rollei Nano 80 for its longer focal length(zooms to 90mmm or so) and for its easy mid-roll change to b&w (the best P&S APS camera I've tried is the Leica C11--fantastic viewfinder and sharp at its 30mm or so focal length, though I can't yet attest to its quality up to telephoto range). I spent a whole day shooting in San Miguel de Allende, and got some magical shots. Yes, the T3 was a bit sharper than the GR21, which you might expect given their respective focal lengths, but both had wonderfully saturated colors. The Ricoh and T3 strike me as the ideal portable set-up; that the GR21 could very nearly match quality with the T3 surprised me. Now all I need is another T3 loaded for b&w and I'll be all set for those times the Leica M & G2 are just too heavy.

Great stuff; I am user with a fine Canon EOS setup and two fast lenses, but I am thinking a G2 and/or perhaps a T3, which I recently picked up and thought was beautifully engineered; the question is how does the Ricoh GR1 - S stack up against the T3, if almost as well as the T3, then in all honesty the saving could go into a more complete G2 system, and the 28 GRIs handmade or bespoke lens would ideal. Any comments or feedback from anyone on this? I want to say also that I did an acid test with my wife in a recent photo magazine, which had a serious of winning photos from a multitude of cameras; I asked her to pick the one that 'stood out to her' - she picked the one taken with a G2 on a 90; I chose the same as well, before knowing, and even though the actual picture was perhaps not quite as 'strong' as the other entries! Interesting maybe?

Sean,

I'm also using a GR21 and T3 combo. In my opinion it's probabbly the best protable combo out there.

> I feel I can comment on this. I own two G2, a T3 and a Ricoh Gr-1. I use > them as "horses for courses", as required. The G2s do most of my street > shooting, while the T3 is my go-everywhere camera for those times I don't > wish to carry even a small bag. The Ricoh went to Rome with me recently as > my only camera, and lives in a holster on my belt. Comparisons - the G2s rule everything else when I need to intedchange lenses, but the T3 is sharper than my 35 G2 lens. The Ricoh has an astounding lens that was later sold for around $800 or so as a Leica M mount lens in its own right. The Ricoh body is very fast into action, without the whirring and whizzing of the T3. The flash is either on or off with the flick of a switch at the back, not at the top like the T3. I would spring for the newer GR-1V, but see no real need to change for the sake of manual focussing etc. The AF has always been spot-on, and the results tack-sharp. I figure that with the addition of my N1 kit, I have the best of every world. Who needs digital ? Albest, Robin

Thankyou for this response, very valuable and I think I can even make my decision from it; there really isn't anything that compares with real users, in real situations. A GR1s/v and G2 are perfect for me; lens decisions also become a little easier. Then I'll decide on the high end, ie out with the Canon and into Medium format perhaps? (Although I do love my EOS5) How do you convert your pictures to digital? (if you do) Which scanner have you used? I must say I like using slide film and Fuji. Regards James.

Hi James,

I moved the first answer to your question in the section "digital corner" of this forum.

Please understand that we can not discuss everything in one thread only and have therefore to post in the appropriate topic, which was created for this purpose. Other members find it easier then and you get more responses.

Dirk

Back