DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Something is going on with Zeiss

You are the only two people who have brought this up, I send out a pic of the week to a long list of people, most non photographers I've not had a problem...double click it's a cinch.

PMA 2005 is less than two weeks away. Let's see if they have a working Zeiss Ikon by then. And by the way, B&H and Adorama still don't have any "ZM" lenses yet. It would be quite emarrassing thing for Zeiss to release the camera without being able to put some Zeiss lenses on the market as well.

Hello Dirk,
I just wondered if you knew when the new Zeiss Ikon will be available.
Also do you think that it might merit a forum of its own when it does become available?
Best wishes,
John

Hi John,

we will figure out a way for the Zeiss-Ikon system. But it has to be clear who covers the costs of this solution and who is doing the work in advance. Maybe Zeiss is interested in sponsoring it, or the users, we will see...

IMO there are 3 options for a forum:

1. A Zeiss-Ikon forum as a stand alone forum
2. Incorporated in a Leica Forum
3. Incorporated in a Contax Forum, depending also on the future of the brandname "contax"

Option #1 is most attractive, but I do not know whether there are enough Zeiss-Ikon users out there.

Option #2 woud make most sense, since ther are many Leica users already, who will also buy the ZI lenses.

Option #3 is still in the "clouds" - no idea
happy.gif

We will think about it, when the first bodies are available and after we talked with Zeiss about it. Bodies should come to the dealers around May as far as I know. Lenses should be available already...

I would like to remember to You all already exists the Zeiss Ikon Collectoss Group (ZICG) which is very active.
A duplication will be detrimental for both.

Regards,
Ulisse

Thanks Dirk,
It was just a thought. The system looks very nice even if the camera is somewhat basic but it is all very expensive. I expect that it will be some time before there is an appreciable number of users. I wonder if professional users will take to it in these days of digital.
John

Another thought - I wonder if Cosina and Epson could come up with a full blown DSLR (Full frame even)in co-operation with CZ.
John

Zeiss Ikon is listed at B&H Photo for $1,617.00. As far as availability goes, it still says "Estimated availability - May". So, I assume that Cosina is on track to really deliver it in May. Hopefully there won't be the same blunder as with the release of ZM lenses... One thing that annoys me though is that it seems that the warranty will indeed be only for one year. Based on that fact alone, I'm not going to spend $1600 for the Zeiss Ikon camera. I'd rather spend that money on a used Leica M.

No news updates on zeissikon.com website... Hmmmmm....

Some ZM lenses (in both colors - silver AND black) on B&H site are already in "Accepting Orders" status, which is good news, but no guarantees that you will get your lens in a reasonable time.

Back