DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
Register now and use your old dpreview username.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Two More Bodies Will Be Announced in 2023

I'm in the Z8 camp, and hoping. Is the Sony A67c like a mirrorless D500? That would get my interest.

I personally think it will be a compact FX body, like the Sony A7c.

That would be great. I used to have the Nikon Z6, but sold it because I am looking for something even smaller. This is atm the Nikon Zfc :)

One apparently will be the Z8, which of course will make a lot of people happy.

The other one? I personally think it will be a compact FX body, like the Sony A7c. And I'd happily own one of those.

Any other thoughts about the second body?
I am waiting for a Z50 III

I am waiting for a mirrorless crop sensor to replace the Nikon D500.

I wonder why they wait so long to release such a model. The D500 was a bestseller. It is a no brainer to offer this in Z mount.

Maybe this is because of parts they need for it and they prefer to use them in more expensive models until the delivery crisis is over.

I ran a Z7 a couple of years ago and ran it for landscape photography. IQ was great, but it had some annoying limitations that would have improved the life of a landscape photographer a lot:

- Zebras or over/under exposure indicators on live view.
- Live composite.
- Live time (a la Olympus).
- Better long exposure metering and control (max 30s before resorting to B is too limiting).
- Dual axis flip screen (for portrait shooting low down).
- Much better phone app.
- Better support for focus bracketing.

Rather than new cameras, I’d rather see these addressed. It might persuade me back to Nikon.

I wonder why they wait so long to release such a model. The D500 was a bestseller. It is a no brainer to offer this in Z mount.

Maybe this is because of parts they need for it and they prefer to use them in more expensive models until the delivery crisis is over.
As I recall it took Nikon forever to come out with the D500. People were eager for it, and there were hundreds of threads wondering when it might be announced. I think it has something to do with Nikon’s hesitancy about DX in general, but who knows.

I am afraid Nikon thinking now is:

- FX, where the good margins are and what we want as many people as possible to buy
- DX, entry level for those wanting to upgrade from smartphones and gateway drug to FX.

I hope to be proven wrong, but I think the chances of a mirrorless D500-like are very slim.

Back