DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Maybe this question has been already been answered, but can someone tell me how the Leica Minilux and Contax T3 compare in terms of optical quality to the prime lenses of a Nikon or Canon (50mm f/1.8, for ex&le)?

And please disregard the garbled sentence structure in the previous post!

> T3: - seemingly high acutance from hi contrast; but shadow details are typically lacking -overall an unpleasant lens from which I've yet to see ANY pictures (posted or otherwise) that are pleasant to view. Also, I never managed to avoid camera shake with the T3 except w/ a good tripod - which somehow defeats the object of it being a pocket cam. Minilux: tonally richer pictures even if sharpness is apparently less than T3 (unsharp mask filtering applied to scans still works wonders without overly boosting contrast so as to destroy pictorial tonality). Pics from these pocket cams can almost match those from SLR 50mm's but depending upon one's goals this can obviously rest upon factors other than just lens alone. Having owned both T3 and minilux I'd recommend the latter .... I ditched the T3 since the 'lux consistently provided better (tonally and less-shaken) pictures. I still use my Nikon f90x with 50, 28, 80-200, and new 24-80s g zoom because it's a great all-round work horse, but the geat minilux pix also prompted (=seduced) me to acquire a leica M6ttl for which I have both elmar & summicron 50mm lenses (that's a long story). Ignoring hype about lines per mm (where summicron - nikon and no doubt canon vie) the glow from the elmar images is magical. At least I like the general similarity of pictorial quality I achieve with both the minilux summarit 40mm lens and the 50mm elmar, though the latter usually provides more detailed resolution. I wish I could put an elmar on the f90!

One improvement for the Minilux is a lens-hood.

The lens is superb, in the class of Leica prime lenses, however I "improved" image quality when shooting with strong side-light or more so directly into the light by making a lens hood which extends 10mm beyond the front lens mount.

>T3: My experience is quite different from Chris's. I've owned both the T3 and Minilux. Eventually I sold the Minilux and kept the T3. Optically both cameras are excellent, though you can argue about tonality and image "qualities" all day long. Each lens has a bit different "flavor" if you will. IMO, the pluses and minuses depend on what you like in focal length and controls, i.e.:

>>Minilux: slightly faster 40mm lens; top shutter speed of 1/400 sec; bulkier and heavier than T3 (which some prefer for steadiness; fiddly flash On/Off controls (6 taps of the mode button to get to flash control!); stonger flash; nice manual focus control ring; close focusing ability not great; viewfinder is small but bright and you have to look at the top deck to see shutter speeds; accepts a wired remote release (T3 does not);

>>T3: slightly slower 35mm f/2.8 lens; top shutter speed of 1/1200 sec.; manual focus not as easy as Minilux, though AF Lock button functions similarly; smaller and lighter than Minilux (some like this, some don't); weaker flash; accepts filters and lens hood (w/ adaptor ring); seven custom functions for user defaults on start up; accepts Contax TLA-200 off-camera flash. Brighter VF and VF shows shutter speed ranges; exposure compensations can be set in 1/3 or 1/2 EV.

Hope this helps. Your mileage may vary....

I really did like the minilux and wish they would upgrade it. Now I use the T3 and I haven't experienced any problems that Chris mentioned, and I personally really like the qualities of the lens on the T3. Maybe there was an issue with the T3 that Chris had. There are some different lens characteristics but this becomes personal preference. Don't have experience with canon or nikon primes but the T3 lens compares favourably in terms of sharpness to the contax SLR mount 35/2.8 (some say the T3 is better) and the Zeiss 50/1.7. Though these were hardly rigorous comparisons. I would imagine the contax/zeiss primes are every bit as good as the canon or nikon equivelants. I've only shot a handful of rolls with the Minilux and based on a practical comparison, it appeared to be every bit as good as well.

I have owned the T2 for more than 10 years and can testify to its usefulness and portability especially on the road. Having golfed in many countries - the T2 was in my pocket on all my trips. Always came back with brilliant pictures.

After 10 years - when the flash deteriorated - I had it fixed by the local agents - and it is again functioning like before.

Also - the specifications that one battery lasts 10 rolls of film ( 36 exposures ) hold true.

My wife liked it so much - I let her use it and bought a Ricoh GR1s - another gem - smaller and lighter with a faster lens.

I am a Leica user too - for many years - and the point I like to make is - when it comes to the real McCoy for P&S - I believe the T2 and GR1s are hard to beat. I am not ready for rebadged gizmos.

J Low

Someone earlier asked if the C3 could have its flash mode could be changed for default off at start-up... I would like to know if this can be done for the Minilux also...I have had the Nikon 35Ti , and the Ricoh GR1, and their flash-off modes were very handy....I would pay to have this done to my Minilux.

No, the Minilux (fixed lens) cannot be set for flash-OFF default (one of the poor controls I hated.) The Minilux zoom can be set this way.

Anyone knows the different between the minilux AG and the minilux GMBH?

Back